• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upscale dining with view in southern Connecticut?

Scargo

Has anyone been to Leon's, Sage, Stillwater/Martin's Riverside, Stonebridge, Stone House, etc. lately? Good food... with a view? What others should be on our short list? What's within driving distance of New Haven, on the CT shoreline (or just a great water view/openness feeling) that has both great food and a great view? Hopefully, seasonal outdoor seating.

I have not been to Sage, so I cannot comment on it. I have been many times to Stillwater, AKA Martin's Riverside. We like it and our visits are well exceeding a dozen times. I think they have good food and Leon's can do some things well on occasion. We like Leon's location and outdoor seating. Stillwater is smaller, but the couple that own it are hands-on and he is the head chef. They have canoes to use on the river, a bocce court, outside bar and occasionally live music.

We were not impressed at all with the food or service at The Stone House in Guilford and the view can be very marginal or non-existent, when in the restaurant.

We went as far as The River Cat Grill, in Royaton, thinking it was "on the river". It has good food but is NOT "on the river" (you can't even see it). I thought, from their map, that it was. Outdoor seating is minimal, and next to a fairly main drag. For some reason, they also have a lot of families with kids.

River, lake, seashore setting...what have you got? Where are bugs a problem if you sit outside? You can mention seafood shacks that are only open in season but I am mostly interested in table service dining.

Banished from Chowhound; I like it just fine on eGullet!

If you`re not big enough to lose, you`re not big enough to win! Try this jalapeno, son. It ain't hot...