• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry frames and rings

Tri2Cook

I want to invest in a selection of frames and rings. The rings are fairly easy to find (although not in depths as low as I'd like to have on hand, I haven't found anything under 3.5cm) but I'm not having any luck finding sheet or half sheet frames in very small (2mm and up) depths. I've found "mousse frames" but only down to 9.5mm (3/8"). I'm in Canada so the sources have to be in Canada or have online ordering (or a catalog) and ship to Canada.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Not sure if this helps, but I think I've heard people say they go to something called a "metal supermarket" to get things like this made to order for not a lot of money.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Thanks! I appreciate the information but, as dumb as it may sound, I'd really prefer to buy a set of frames if I can find them. I don't want modular bars for pouring candy in, I want solid frames for spreading batters and building layers in that won't move while I'm working and I'd like to find some rings that go below 3.5cm in depth as well.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

A fellow I did some training with in Ottawa had a machinist friend make up a bunch of frames for him. I know I've seen some frames at Baker's Warehouse, but I think they are taller than you want.

Have you checked out various restaurant supply places on line?

Have you checked dr.ca?

Thank you! It looks like they have most of what I'm looking for and what they don't have I can easily work around. They need to talk to their web designer, they've never come up in any searches I've done and I do a lot of searching. Got 'em in the bookmarks now though so thanks again.

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions and if any more come up I'll be glad to check them out too.

Have you checked dr.ca?

Bingo! I knew I'd seen them somewhere!

And DR will make things for you in any size or shape you want - they do their own metal work there (for a price of course).

Have you checked dr.ca?

They need to talk to their web designer, they've never come up in any searches I've done and I do a lot of searching.

That's for sure. I'd never even heard of them. I've been bemoaning the lack of Canadian online suppliers too.

edited to say that I just sent them an email about it.

Edited by emmalish (log)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

If anyone's interested, I heard back from dr.ca the following day and they say they're in the process of redesigning their website and making it more search engine friendly. I've also noticed that after I asked them a question about one of their products, within a day the website had been updated to describe the item more clearly. I haven't ordered anything from them yet, but I'm already very impressed by their customer service.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?