• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coating nuts in cocoa butter

tammylc

In one of the candy bars I'm working on, I found that my nice crunchy toasted almonds got soft by the next day, presumably from moisture migration. I want to try coating them in cocoa butter to help prevent that.

Has anyone done this? Should I do it when the nuts are warm, or after they've cooled to room temperature? Any tips regarding ratio of cocoa butter to nuts, or mixing technique?

Thanks!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

In one of the candy bars I'm working on, I found that my nice crunchy toasted almonds got soft by the next day, presumably from moisture migration. I want to try coating them in cocoa butter to help prevent that.

Has anyone done this? Should I do it when the nuts are warm, or after they've cooled to room temperature? Any tips regarding ratio of cocoa butter to nuts, or mixing technique?

Thanks!

Not sure about the cocoa butter coating, I suppose I'd coat them warm - tossing lots to coat as thinly as possible, probably with gloved hands. Spraying with the airbrush would probably give the thinnest coat.

The traditional way would be to use a gum arabic solution to coat them.

Looking through my notes it says a 50% solution of gum arabic - so 50 grams dissolved in 100 grams of water. You would drizzle and toss I would guess - then dry with your heat gun.

So I was just logging on to post a similar question...

I assume that if you add caramelized cocoa nibs to a cream or butter ganache, they'd eventually get soft and mealy. ETA: Is this correct?

Do you think that coating them in cocoa butter or dark chocolate would prevent this?

Thanks.

Edited by John DePaula (log)

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I got the idea of coating with cocoa butter from David J, who reports that it's what Wybauw recommends doing with pop rocks before putting them into ganache.

I'll be cutting and dipping my bars tonight. Last time, they'd started going soggy by 24 hours, so I should be able to tell by then if it made any difference at all, and i'll report back.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I got the idea of coating with cocoa butter from David J, who reports that it's what Wybauw recommends doing with pop rocks before putting them into ganache.

I'll be cutting and dipping my bars tonight. Last time, they'd started going soggy by 24 hours, so I should be able to tell by then if it made any difference at all, and i'll report back.

Thanks, Tammy!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

The nuts were still nice and crunchy last night, so the experiment seems to have been successful. I'll be using them for an event on the weekend, so we'll see how they stand up after a few days.

Edited by tammylc (log)

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Wybauw recommends doing with pop rocks before putting them into ganache.

Interesting. I must have missed that one. So far I've never had problems with pop rocks not holding up in a ganache but that's probably due to the fact that I'm only using it for desserts, not chocolates, and usually don't need them to hold up for more than 24 hrs. I'm going to have to give that a try though. Thanks!

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.