• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No Waiters at all

Kouign Aman

No Waitstaff in this restaurant

Whaddya think? Wave of the future? Cute gimic? As long as the food suits, who cares if the waiter/ress is human or steelrail? Or hell no, I wont go?

I'm curious about clean up - the article doesnt address who / how the dirty places and dishes are handled.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

well, automats can be found in both the U.S. and Japan.

McDonalds has experimented with self-ordering.

at the hottest restaurant in NY, Momofuku Ko, you are essentially served by the chefs (as with sushi bars)...

he seems to have combined these concepts...

edit: I think I ran across an automat in Sweden some years ago too.

Edited by Nathan (log)

One night we walked into our favorite Chinese restaurant to find the entire wait staff had just up and quit. We were early and there were only 2 other parties. So we waited on ourselves and on each other. It was really fun!

The next time we went back there was a small waitstaff but no customers, and the carpet smelled like cat pee. Haven’t been back.

As someone who tends to avoid interaction with strangers (I actually like automated phone systems and always use the self-check line at the grocery store), I love the idea!

I think we will see more of these, inevitably, once they figure out how to make ordering idiot-proof and how to make delivery systems that don't cost an arm and a leg at start up. There will always be fully-staffed restaurants but I have a feeling they'll be more high-end, with career waitstaff.

Which means there goes one more way of paying your way through college...

When I was a kid in Kansas City (some 20-30 years ago), there was a burger joint not to far from my house. The guy that built it invented an elaborate model train system that would deliver your food to your table. You ordered via telephone at your booth. It was tremendous fun watching all the trains running everywhere without a crash.

“Cooking is an art, but you eat it too.”

My family and I got a kick out of the sushi delivery conveyor belts at London's Yo Sushi! a number of years ago. The sushi wasn't bad either.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

oh heck...not only are sushi conveyor belts all over the place (and kind of fun)....but I remember being in D.C. during the 80's at a museum (maybe the National Gallery of Art?) and the lunch cafe used a conveyor belt setup.

At Fritz's Restaurant here in KC (historic hamburger joint), there are little railroad tracks running all through the restaurant and your food is delivered by a train. The train drops the tray off on a platform, and the platform lowers to your table. Servers still bring your drinks, but having the choo-choo bring your burgers and fries is a great experience for young and old alike!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011