• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grain alcohol in Vancouver?

I keep running into articles about homemade lemoncello and it's getting to me.

They all seem to call for 190 proof grain alcohol though (they say you can use vodka but that the grain alcohol gives a better result).

I know I can buy this out east and have very blurry memories of too much alcool (*shudder*, 194 proof) in my undergrad days but I haven't seen it in BC.

Any ideas?

I keep running into articles about homemade lemoncello and it's getting to me.

They all seem to call for 190 proof grain alcohol though (they say you can use vodka but that the grain alcohol gives a better result).

I know I can buy this out east and have very blurry memories of too much alcool (*shudder*, 194 proof) in my undergrad days but I haven't seen it in BC.

Any ideas?

Where did you but it out east? I assume you mean somewhere between Toronto and St. John's, but the only place I have seen anything close to 194 proof is in a laboratory. The LCBO used to sell a house brand of alcool but I'm sure it was a lot less potent. Perhaps Quebec? The SAQ has a controversial monopoly on booze in that province.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

The stuff I have here is 'Everclear'. It's 153 proof.

I have also had the 95%, but it was from the lab. When I was in the military we used to order in a bottle with every order from stores, then we'd have it to make our liqueurs at Christmas time.

The stuff I have here is 'Everclear'. It's 153 proof. 

I have also had the 95%, but it was from the lab.  When I was in the military we used to order in a bottle with every order from stores, then we'd have it to make our liqueurs at Christmas time.

So that's why we're so good at peacekeeping missions! :biggrin:

I, too, have enjoyed the pure reagent. Since it's 2.5 times stronger than the standard 80 proof, one needs to be careful measuring - I believe a tbsp is one standard drink. Danger!

Moe Sizlack

For what it's worth, a slew of folks have had good success with 100-proof (and even 80 proof) vodka instead of pure grain - suggested for smoothness, and more controlled extraction. You can find the thread on homemade Limoncello here.

Haven't yet seen an objective side-by-side comparison, but this may suggest your recipe and time would not be wasted without Everclear or the like.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

Where did you but it out east? I assume you mean somewhere between Toronto and St. John's, but the only place I have seen anything close to 194 proof is in a laboratory. The LCBO used to sell a house brand of alcool but I'm sure it was a lot less potent. Perhaps Quebec? The SAQ has a controversial monopoly on booze in that province.

The LCBO carries half liter bottles of 94% alcohol, but requires a prescription to dispense them.

The SAQ, in contrast, sells house brand (or Global) 94% normally in all standard sizes, usually in the same section as vodka.

I've also seen similar proof Everclear available in Alberta in the vodka section as well.

Edited by J_Ozzy (log)

The LCBO carries half liter bottles of 94% alcohol, but requires a prescription to dispense them.

The SAQ, in contrast, sells house brand (or Global) 94% normally in all standard sizes, usually in the same section as vodka.

I've also seen similar proof Everclear available in Alberta in the vodka section as well.

Interesting - I've never been asked to write a script for this before!

That was the answer I got from the manager (roughly 5 years ago) when I asked why it showed up in the online inventory but was never on the shelves.

Part of the LCBO's "Social Responsibility" mandate, I guess.

LCBO product ID 288142 (it's 95%, not 94), actually quite reasonably priced given the alcohol content.

Edited by J_Ozzy (log)

On what basis would a physician write a script for ethanol?

I thought only a pharmacist can dispense prescription meds - does the LCBO have one on staff?

Moe Sizlack

I thought only a pharmacist can dispense prescription meds - does the LCBO have one on staff?

We prescribe things like one beer per day, or one glass of brandy per day for folks in chronic care facilities. I always assumed the facility just went to the liquor store and bought it, or asked the family to provide the bottle. Maybe they actually take the order to the store?

• 2 weeks later...

I have no idea, I didn't pursue the line of questioning any further. I had ready access to western Quebec at the time, so I made my high proof purchases there.