• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Word Meaning: Help! What Does "Lou" Mean?

Dave Hatfield

I cannot find the meaning in French of the word "lou". I'm trying to find it in the context of a discussion going on over in the cheese forum.

They're looking for a cheese called 'Lou paralou' which I can't find anywhere although I can find several cheeses the are 'Lou ..... something or other'

I've tried new & old French, Occitan & Basque dictionaries with no luck.

Does anybody know what this word means?

I cannot find the meaning in French of the word "lou". I'm trying to find it in the context of a discussion going on over in the cheese forum.

They're looking for a cheese called 'Lou paralou' which I can't find anywhere although I can find several cheeses the are 'Lou  ..... something or other'

My French boyfriend tells me it means "Le" in southern patois.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

They're looking for a cheese called 'Lou paralou' which I can't find anywhere although I can find several cheeses the are 'Lou  ..... something or other'

Thanks. Makes sense.

Don't know why it didn't turn up in the dictionary. I'll have to try some others.

Edited by Dave Hatfield (log)

Thanks. Makes sense.

Don't know why it didn't turn up in the dictionary. I'll have to try some others.

I struck it in Provence...think it is Occitan, quite like Catalan....at the time I wondered if my brain was fried as I suddenly couldn't understand what the people around me were saying :smile: