• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

29 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Something I've never understood. Why does America 'celebrate' St. Patrick's Day at all? Don't tell me it's only those with Irish ancestry.

And why corned-beef, something Patrick almost certainly never ate? He certainly didn't drink Guinness which wasn't invented until around 1200 years after his time.

And he wasn't Irish!

Can anyone point me to a rational eplanation? i have looked.

As many cultures do, we clutch at excuses for holidays. After Valentines on Feb 14 there is a gap till Easter which jumps around. Plus it is portrayed as happy jolly  with a "green light" for all day boozing AND you get to pinch anyone who does not wear something green. That is my take from the marketing/consumer angle.

heidih

heidih

12 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Something I've never understood. Why does America 'celebrate' St. Patrick's Day at all? Don't tell me it's only those with Irish ancestry.

And why corned-beef, something Patrick almost certainly never ate? He certainly didn't drink Guinness which wasn't invented until around 1200 years after his time.

And he wasn't Irish!

Can anyone point me to a rational eplanation? i have looked.

As many cultures do, we clutch at excuses for holidays. After Valentines on 14 there is a gap till Easter which jumps around. Plus it is portrayed as happy jolly  with a "green light" for all day boozing AND you get to pinch anyone who does not wear something green. That is my take from the marketing/consumer angle.