• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Soft Serve Ice Cream

mroybal

I need some help. The owners of the restaurant I run have installed a soft serve machine and that is the only desert they want on the menu. They sign the checks so what the heck.

What I wnat to do is make my own base for the soft serve. Improving the quality and letting me bump the price a bit and cut food cost. Does anybody know how I would do this. I think I would have to use some soy lecithen

Thanks in advance

Edited by mroybal (log)

Based upon my own experience with a small stand alone ice cream maker, there need be no special mixture just a good ice cream recipe. When I take ice cream from my machine and pack it into a container, it is essentially soft serve ice cream. When I take it out of the freezer after a hard freeze, it's regular ice cream. So my advice is to just collect some good recipes and source the freshest ingredients. Temperature makes the difference as far as soft serve goes. Soy Lecithen, no way!

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)

Based upon my own experience with a small stand alone ice cream maker, there  need be no special mixture just a good ice cream recipe. When I take ice cream from my machine and pack it into a container,  it is essentially soft serve icream. When I take it out of the freezer after a hard freeze, it's regular ice cream. So my advice is to just collect some good recipes and source the freshest ingredients. Temperature makes the difference as far as soft serve goes. Soy Lecithen, no way!

HC

True! When my ice cream comes out of the ice cream maker, its as soft-serve as it can be! ...I think they just hae machines that maintain that temperature and state that the ice cream is in when it comes out of the ice cream maker..:o)