• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

18/8 v 18/10 Stainless Steel

Shel_B

While I understand the compositional differences between 18/8 and 18/10 stainless steel, I don't know if there's any practical difference between the two. Does 18/8 scratch or damage easier? Is it more prone to having food stick to it? Is browning or searing comparable for both? What about staining - is one more prone to stain than the other?

Any "stainless" gurus out there?

shel

... Shel

My understanding is that there is no real difference between 18/8 and 18/10, and that the two designations are only meaningful for marketing purposes.

All this stuff is actually made from Type 304 stainless steel -- which is technically supposed to be 18/8, but in fact comes in between 18-20% chromium and between 8-10% nickel. My understanding is that a common trick by manufacturers is to include a touch over 8% nickel (say, 8.3%) in their Type 304, which allows them to legally call it 18/10. Why anyone would care is beyond me. Perhaps people have the idea that 10 ie better than 8?

Anyway, ignore these designations.

--

I *think* there may be a difference if you have an Induction hob...

I believe you should expect 18/8 to work with induction, and 18/10 not to. (Its only the base that matters.)

In any case, always check with a magnet! :smile:

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

18-8 and 18-10 seem equally non-magnetic. I believe slkinsey's right about them using type 400 (martensitic) stainless steel on the outside of pans to make them work with induction.

It seems as if there's sometimes a visible difference between the two. Especially noticeable in flatware. 18-8 has a harder shine to it, kind of like chrome. 18-10 has a slightly softer, warmer looking luster.

Of course i could be imagining this. It might also apply to some alloys and not others ... there are many different steels that can be called either 18-8 or 18-10. In theory, the higher nickel content should make 18-10 more resistant to corosion, but who knows if there's any practical benefit for cookware.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

I believe magnetic stainless steel is Series 400, not Series 300.

I have some 304 stainless that is capable. I have also seen 18/10 that is induction compatible-to my understanding it has to do with a layer of ferritic steel(which has more carbon) in the bottom layer.

The higher grades of stainless can make a difference when cooking acidic foods-some say that lower grades of stainless can leech into foods while cooking.

I have some 304 stainless that is capable. I have also seen 18/10 that is induction compatible-to my understanding it has to do with a layer of ferritic steel(which has more carbon) in the bottom layer.

It's not the 304 stainless that is magnetic but, as you say, a layer of a different (series 400) magnetic steel that makes this possible.

The higher grades of stainless can make a difference when cooking acidic foods-some say that lower grades of stainless can leech into foods while cooking.

Meh. I don't believe this is true. Perhaps 18/0 steel?

Edited by slkinsey (log)

--

It's not the 304 stainless that is magnetic but, as you say, a layer of a different (series 400) magnetic steel that makes this possible.

Meh. I don't believe this is true. Perhaps 18/0 steel?

If you Google "baking soda test" you can read more about it.

While I'm not claiming to understand all of the science behind it the test is basically this-

Take whichever pans you'd like put equal amounts of water in them, add a teaspoon of baking soda allow them to boil for 3-5 min then taste the water. Each type of pan -non-stick, 18/8, 18/10, copper will taste different and you will be able to taste metal in the stainless pans, and chemicals from the non-stick. We were told that these tastes/metals leech from our pans when we cook acidic foods, but the food taste covers them up. That's why baking soda was used for the test, it gets the same reaction, but doesn't cover mask the metallic taste.

I personally don't understand what type/quantity of food has to be cooked to equal a tsp of sodium bicarbonate in my pan, which made me raise an eyebrow- see disclaimer.

**Disclaimer** I saw this test performed at an in home presentation for some very expensive cookware. The point was their expensive cookware did not produce these foul tastes because of their super high grade stainless. It was interesting, but may have been some sales puffery. I stil have my same pans. :wink:

While I'm not claiming to understand all of the science behind it the test is basically this-

Take whichever pans you'd like put equal amounts of water in them, add a teaspoon of baking soda allow them to boil for 3-5 min then taste the water. Each type of pan -non-stick, 18/8, 18/10, copper will taste different and you will be able to taste metal in the stainless pans, and chemicals from the non-stick. We were told that these tastes/metals leech from our pans when we cook acidic foods, but the food taste covers them up. That's why baking soda was used for the test, it gets the same reaction, but doesn't cover mask the metallic taste.

I personally don't understand what type/quantity of food has to be cooked to equal a tsp of sodium bicarbonate in my pan, which made me raise an eyebrow- see disclaimer.

**Disclaimer** I saw this test performed at an in home presentation for some very expensive cookware. The point was their expensive cookware did not produce these foul tastes because of their super high grade stainless. It was interesting, but may have been some sales puffery. I stil have my same pans.  :wink:

Years ago my mother had someone over showing her some stainless pans and they set up this baking soda test. Each pot tasted worse than the one before making the demo'd stainless pans seem the best. But mom suggested they retry the stainless again after the others - it was even more bitter. Conclusion - the bitterness was a cumulative effect on your tongue, not anything to do with the cookware. She felt really bad that the lady quit selling these pots because she felt she had been suckered into misleading people.

**Disclaimer** I saw this test performed at an in home presentation for some very expensive cookware. The point was their expensive cookware did not produce these foul tastes because of their super high grade stainless. It was interesting, but may have been some sales puffery. I stil have my same pans.  :wink:

Years ago my mother had someone over showing her some stainless pans and they set up this baking soda test. Each pot tasted worse than the one before making the demo'd stainless pans seem the best. But mom suggested they retry the stainless again after the others - it was even more bitter. Conclusion - the bitterness was a cumulative effect on your tongue, not anything to do with the cookware. She felt really bad that the lady quit selling these pots because she felt she had been suckered into misleading people.

Sounds just like what I saw-I did not however have the foresight to try theirs again though.

Baking soda is alkaline, not acidic. So if it's acidic foods that are supposed to cause these off tastes, baking soda would have no effect.

18/10 steel on it's own should not work with induction.

I have some great Spring pans which are 5 layer.

1. 18/10

2. Aluminium for conduction

3. Iron for induction

4. Aluminium for conduction

5. 18/10

The lids are also great, but if you leave a hot pan to cool down conating any steam the lid gets vacuum sealled on.

The only downside, hollow handles so after a trip trough the dishwasher they can accumulate water and need to be drained!

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Baking soda is alkaline, not acidic. So if it's acidic foods that are supposed to cause these off tastes, baking soda would have no effect.

I asked a similar question because he mentioned both leafy greens and tomatoes causing this reaction, and to my knowledge leafy greens are not acidic. I cannot recall the answer I was given.