• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baked Silverfish

Unicorn

I saw on a menu recently "Baked Silverfish with Egg". Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to go to that restaurant, and have since left the city. The restaurant servs all kinds of interesting stuff, Deep Fried Whole Squab, Geoduck, Maw etc. along with the usual congee and seafood fare.

The only thing is, I don't even know what Silverfish is! The only actual fish I can find by that name lives in the antarctic and I doubt that is the one.

Anyone know anything about this dish, or even a recipe?

Hmmm . . .

When I hear "silverfish" I think of those creepy little flat insects that race around when you open a drawer or move a carpet. I hope that's not what's on your menu.

I have also heard the term "silver fish" applied to the silver hake - a tasty fish in the waters out here in Atlantic Canada. Here's a silver hake I had last summer (8" diameter bowl) with some scallops:

gallery_42214_5579_64245.jpg

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Hmm, that certainly looks like it would be quick to bake. I think you are right, wiki says that it is abundant off the coast of BC which is where I'm at. So I guess it is not a traditional Chinese dish, fish wise that is.

Thanks Peter!