• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Love Becco - so I will love?

rachiesarah

In the city every few months - nothing like a better reason to see the funk play in the city. Always go to Becco, easy to get a reservation, can wear jeans (never sneakers though!). So, where else is completely decent in budget, yet thoroughly great through and through?? Tuesday or Wednesday night......

** posted this in the other chow board but I trust you guys more ;)...

Edited by rachiesarah (log)
sure it isn't healthy, but why deny oneslf?

Becco would run about $55 including wine, tax and tip, if you were ordering a primo, secondo, dessert, and 2 glasses. The pasta blowout only costs $22, though, so you could easily get out of there (skipping dessert, who needs it?) for about $40.

If you're interested in going a little lighter than Becco food-wise, sticking in the same neighborhood for a reasonable budget, I'd recommend Casellula (52nd St between 9th and 10th Avenue), hands-down. Excellent wines, cheeses, charcuterie, and some tasty (rich) mains. If you're more than one person and into sharing, I'd consider the very good Taboon, on 52nd St and 10th Avenue, for Mediterranean-North African food. (I say sharing because the apps are wonderful, but LARGE.)

Esca's out of your budget territory, so I'd forget that (even though I happen to like it a lot).

Are you restricted by neighborhood at all?

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

We had a really good meal (pre-theatre) last Friday night at Toloache, which Fat Guy posted about here.

Nuevo Mexican, decent margaritas, and you'll have plenty of choices besides the grasshoppers.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?