• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is there any starred resto you wouldn't recommend?

HOLLY_L

Host’s Note:

On another topic titled “If you could only pick one big deal restaurant in Paris” I mused whether

there [is] any starred place (excepting Helene Darroze), that we wouldn't recommend?
Rather than muddy that topic with this discussion, I’ve started a new one.

While I'm pretty sure almost all restaurants have at least one bad review, there are places that have more mixed reviews than others: Taillevent (also possibly an example of a restaurant in decline) and Le Grand Vefour come to mind. (I have not eaten at Le Grand Vefour, and given Robyn's request, would not recommend Taillevent.) Maybe ADPA and Le Cinq could be considered also in decline based on what I've read, although I'm less sure, and haven't dined at either? So I think there are starred restaurants that a consensus might steer the poster away from.

Edited to add: I am trying to not criticize any of these restaurants (especially those I haven't been too, which I'm sure have their supporters here! Just trying to distill some of what I have read.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

I was about to say that both are just fine, indeed great, but then it occurred to me, is there any starred place (excepting Helene Darroze, that we wouldn't recommend?

Ducasse, le Grand Véfour.

Actually, to echo a recent thread, every meal I had there were always plain mediocre foodwise.

Edited by julot-les-pinceaux (log)

I've been less than impressed by Le Meurice, and utterly disappointed by Le Grand Véfour.

I should note that I haven't had dinner at either and have only tested their weekday lunch deals, but the way I see it, a meal at a starred restaurant should be a stellar experience regardless of the time of day and the menu you choose.

(Conversely, the weekday lunch menus I've had at Le Bristol, Les Ambassadeurs, and Le Pré Catelan were fabulous. Great bang for your buck.)

Clotilde.