• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dave From Top Chef One Opens Restaurant

laurelm

hmmmm...I wish him all the luck in the WORLD. And I hope I dont offend anyone w/ the following remarks: As a chef myself, and based what I saw on the show.. I'll wager it will be out of business in under 18 months. WHY.... OHHHH WHY would anyone want to bankroll a chef of average talent in what I would term an almost guaranteed failure?

Matter of fact...we should start to track what I believe is 8 restaurants from Top Chef contestants. Any guesses on a failure rate?

8 restaurants from Top Chef contestants

Do you know who else? I saw Steven from Season one is opening one and then winner, Harold. I havent really heard anything from Season 2 (which imo really sucked anyhow)

hmmmm...I wish him all the luck in the WORLD. And I hope I dont offend anyone w/ the following remarks:  As a chef myself, and based what I saw on the show.. I'll wager it will be out of business in under 18 months. WHY.... OHHHH WHY would anyone want to bankroll a chef of average talent in what I would term an almost guaranteed failure?

Matter of fact...we should start to track what I believe is 8 restaurants from Top Chef contestants. Any guesses on a  failure rate?

I'm not so sure a chef's talent is critical for the sort of place he's pitching..."affordable" etc. Marketed right it could do great. It could even be franchisable.

Looking at the menu, I keep being drawn back to the "groovy gorgonzola" :blink: on the Smokey Rubbed Filet Mignon.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Do you know who else? I saw Steven from Season one is opening one and then winner, Harold. I havent really heard anything from Season 2 (which imo really sucked anyhow)

Perhaps that includes those that already owned one? Like Betty...

during the holiday special, tiffani talked about her restaurant in LA being on the drawing board...

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook