• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leek Tart

Saffy

I have a recipe here for a Leek Tart which looks quite good. So that will be dinner in our house this evening.

It dawned on me today that Leeks are one of my favourite veges, it's a pity they are seasonal :/

What are some of your favourite ways to prepare leeks? Or do you despise them ?

I would also be interested in any other Leek Tart recipes that you might have hanging about in your kitchen :biggrin:

Leek and potato soup of course, of course.

Leek and gruyere fritatta.

Leek and mushroom gyoza.

Leeks that have had chicken roasted atop them. (Discard chicken.)

Can go on and on.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Always happy to take a leek, or two or a dozen.

Sliced and "melted" gently in butter and olive oil, then frozen in 1-cup portions to add to anything and everything.

Oooooh, yes, braised and served with a creamy vinaigrette (recipe from NY Times, 197x)

Julienne and frizzled, as a garnish.

Braised, then wrapped with ham and cheese, topped with bechamel, and baked (instead of endive)

I have a recipe here for a Leek Tart which looks quite good. I would also be interested in any other Leek Tart recipes that you might have hanging about in your kitchen

I won't show you mine 'till you show me yours. :laugh:

Leek Tart

Flakey pastry ( pate brisee ) or filo pastry for the crust

3 lbs of leeks - washed and roughly chopped

4-6 tblspns butter

Salt to taste

freshly ground black pepper

2 large eggs

1/2 cup of creme fraiche

3 oz freshly grated gruyere cheese

Make the pastry shell and chill ( 10 inch tart pan )

Preheat oven to moderately hot. ( around 220C )

Prepare the filling

Melt the butter in a large pan add the leeks and salt and pepper to taste and cook until the leeks are soft but not brown, covered.

Drain leeks if they have given up a lot of liquid.

Combine the eggs and creme fraiche and mix until blended. Add the leeks and half the cheese. Mix again.

Pour into the chilled tart shell and sprinkle with the remainder of the cheese. Season generously with freshly ground black pepper. Bake until nicely browned and filling is set about 30-40 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature

We had this last night with seared salmon steaks and a white wine/shallot/lemon butter sauce.

MMMMMMmmmmm :)!!

:biggrin: