• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

101 Appetizers in 20 minutes or less

Anna N

101 Appetizers.

A great list of quickie appetizers that will jog your memory or provide inspiration.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm just amazed at Mark Bittman's ability to pull together such huge numbers of ideas. That being said, I don't think this was one of his best pieces. Maybe it's just personal taste, but on the entire list there wasn't a single one that jumped out at me as a must-make item for my next party.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm just amazed at Mark Bittman's ability to pull together such huge numbers of ideas. That being said, I don't think this was one of his best pieces. Maybe it's just personal taste, but on the entire list there wasn't a single one that jumped out at me as a must-make item for my next party.

I agree that it's not the greatest list of great appetizers and it is repetitive but as a jumping off point I find it very useful. As I read through it, I recalled similar appetizers or riffed off some of his ideas.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am a huge Mark Bittman fan (known affectionately as Marky Mark in my house), but he did a similar list this summer on 101 quick dinners, or something like that, and although I found the list strangely exciting, the ideas that I tried turned out not to be that terrific. Still, who can resist a man with a hundred and one ideas for quick dinners, however unsuccessful they may be?

Love ya, Marky! :wub:

is he the fried pizza dough person????

and wasnt he also the artisan bread in the cast iron pan person?

if so i "heart" him he is wonderful

One and the same. He also has a few small television series they show sometimes on PBS.

Kind of glanced over the list... yeah, nothing "spectacular", but there are some good ideas... and I find myself collecting recipes for ideas first, instructions second.

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Count me as being not terribly impressed with this list. Not that I expect much innovation in an article like this, but there were only a handful I haven't made or had somewhere.

I also think the "20 Minutes" part is very misleading -- lots of these, while they sound fine, surely would take more than 20 minutes. I can't cut apart a rack of baby back ribs and get them cooked in 20 minutes. I can't make crab cakes, start to finish, in 20 minutes. I can't form a pound's worth of meatballs in 10 minutes (all that's left given the 5 minutes of sitting and 5 minutes of cooking). In only one (the cod cakes) does he hint that the "20 minutes" is a misnomer.

Yes, the list isn't quite up to snuff for the foodie dorks out there.

But think how nice it would be, attending a holiday party where they normally serve costco purchases straight from the package, but instead, these non-foodie people read this article and were inspired to try to make something of their own instead.

It would be a pleasant relief to my holiday party schedule.

Costco and those damn weenies in bbq sauce and grape jelly.

Ok, if you think its not that good, maybe contribute some of your own.

My standbys are

Quail tea eggs on seaweed

consomme in shot glasses and garnish

King prawns and mange tout as flowers on sticks

then of course there are luxury items like Foie or Caviar....

Edited by jackal10 (log)