• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calories in wine

tommy

As I recall, standard 80 proof liquor has about 60 calories per ounce, or about 90 calories per 1.5 ounce shot, give or take a little depending on the exact composition of the item.

Sweet. Oh wait, like I need an excuse to drink.

• 3 weeks later...

If you go on the L.A. Weight Loss Plan and you aren't generally partial to Fruit... good news! A full glass of wine gives you all three necessary servings and still keeps you in your diet. Not that I have any experience or any... ummm How about that local sports team?

Edit: The whole point of the low-carb hi-fat diet is that it does not obey the arithmetical rules that the calory-counters  lay down. The law of "conservation of energy" seems to behave in a different way. I didn't believe this for years -- until I finally tried it after so many intermittently successful attempts at self-denial..

Right, apparently the idea is that when you're in ketosis you burn calories less efficiently and therefore can eat like 5000 calories a day and still lose weight. This seems counterintuitive but I'd be willing to accept it were it supported by actual studies. As far as I know, however, Dr. Atkins and others have never chosen to back up their theories with actual studies, and instead rely on hand-picked case studies without peer review. That's why most nutritionists will tell you that the low-carb diet works mostly because of its appetite-reducing effect than any sort of magical internal process. Then again it does seem that there are low-carb dieters who eat gazillions of calories a day and lose weight. So what do I know? Alcohol, as I understand it, does not contain carbohydrates, so it's got to be treated as its own thing. How it affects ketosis, I couldn't say, but it seems suspicious that there would be an exception made for something absorbed and processed so efficiently by the body.

This is consistent with the Atkins plan. Wine, beer, etc are assumed to be carb products.

Avoided in Induction, taken in moderation during ketosis

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Since I last reported in a couple of weeks ago, I've been drinking about a bottle of wine a day, spent five days in Paris eating two full meals a day with the highest fat content I've ever consumed in a comparable period, have spent the last week glued to my computer, writing, and barely getting out of the house -- and have lost another four pounds.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

The only reason to feel jealous is if you are so enamoured of carbs in their various forms, sweet and savory, that you would not be repayed in your imagination with the rich diet of cheese, meat, and cream sauces. I happen to love the latter so much that I can forego pain levain and risotto, which I am very fond of, but which I do not wake up having dreamt about. It's simply a diet which follows my predilections and which therefor requires no will power whatsoever -- of which I have none. :sad:

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros