• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caviar at Holiday Time

pups224

It's that time again to think about caviar. Since the GOOD Russian stuff first became unaffordable and then unavailable, it seems that no matter what I taste is not even comparable.

I have surfed Zabar's, Russ & Daughters and D & D's websites and have found so many different kinds.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonable substitute?

By the way, will pick up some Jamon Iberico at D & D this afternoon. When I was in Bruges, I had the fresh, grilled Pata Negra Bellota filet. So, so amazing!

It's that time again to think about caviar. Since the GOOD Russian stuff first became unaffordable and then unavailable, it seems that no matter what I taste is not even comparable.

I have surfed Zabar's, Russ & Daughters and D & D's websites and have found so many different kinds.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonable substitute?

Maybe this is a stupid suggestion (I don't know that much about caviar), but have you tried going to a Russian market in Brooklyn? There's a big supermarket right next to a stop on the Q (Neck Road) and it has a counter area in the back completely dedicated to caviar...

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I buy everything from Hansen Caviar. They used to have a shop in NYC, but moved up to Kingston a few years ago. They do a very big mail-order business (but I am lucky since I can drive there)

Click for caviar

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I once had a prominent local chef -- one of 4 4-star dudes in DC -- speak highly of Uruguayan caviar. Said that the producers had scoured the world for conditions and fish that most closely resembled the Caspian Sea and whatever the local sturgeon is, and deemed Uruguay the place to be. Just Google, there's a number of sites, if you can't find any locally.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Anytime of year is time for caviar! I'm so glad to see this thread. :)

I buy everything from Hansen Caviar. They used to have a shop in NYC, but moved up to Kingston a few years ago. They do a very big mail-order business (but  I am lucky since I can drive there)

Click for caviar

Perusing Hansen's website, it *looks* like you can order Beluga to be shipped anywhere in the US... have the regulations changed in the past, say, couple of weeks? Because Mom & and I were surfing the heck out of everywhere over Thanksgiving weekend, trying to find a source for it, and every single place that HAD Beluga noted that its shipment was restricted to "Florida delivery only." Can anyone explain?

<b>adeqiulio</b>, lucky you. We've yet to find *any* place local to Richmond, VA that sells any type of caviar other than the Romanoff stuff -- you have to mail order anything else!

Three years ago I bought 1 ounce of Russian Beluga and 1 ounce of American Osetra caviars to serve side by side at my New Year's party. I personally enjoyed the American Osetra more than the Beluga. I paid $80 for the Beluga and $20 for the Osetra. I now seek out the American Osetra.

The Osetra was from one of two sturgeon farms that started in California about 15 years ago. Although farming sturgeon is a relatively new adventure in america, eating caviar is not. In fact sturgeoun populations in america were depleted a long time ago from the high demand a hundered years ago or so.

It should also be considered when purchasing Caviar that it is made so good here now, that it is actually being imported back to Russia and Iran and being repackedand labeled as their own.

Russian and Iranian Caviar is so expensive now because there are tariffs in place to limit imports due to the severe depletion of the sturgeon species in the Caspian. Poor regulations and poaching are taxing the populations heavily. There is however an ongoing effort to raise and release sturgeon back into the Caspian.

My advice is to buy the America Caviar. As I have provided, there are many reasons to do so.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.