• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Traveling with a cake overseas

Bruiser

I'm traveling to Ireland in the spring :wub: and staying with family. The one thing they adore more than anything when they visit is my carrot cake. I would love to bring one with me as a thank you for letting me stay with them.

Anyone have any idea as to how I can get it overseas?

I remember someone bringing over an irish wedding cake (fruit cake w/ marzipan and fondant) from Ireland last year. I'm guessing it was shipped in cargo. The poor cake was smushed when we unwrapped it.

I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks.

I've often travelled bearing cakes or other foodstuff.

If you want the cake to arrive in one piece, bring the un-iced cake as your carry on, and pack the icing separately in a cooler with some ice packs, and put that in your check-in suitcase.

But really, I think it would be best if you made the cake for them there. If you need a special ingredient for the cake or icing, just bring it along with you. It would be far less hassle than bringing the entire cake with you on a plane.

I've often travelled bearing cakes or other foodstuff.

If you want the cake to arrive in one piece, bring the un-iced cake as your carry on, and pack the icing separately in a cooler with some ice packs, and put that in your check-in suitcase.

But really, I think it would be best if you made the cake for them there.  If you need a special ingredient for the cake or icing, just bring it along with you.  It would be far less hassle than bringing the entire cake with you on a plane.

thanks.

i'll try bringing the icing/cake separate.

i prefer to not bake/cook in someone else's kitchen. thats just me i guess.

Carrot cake can probably survive pretty well for the time it would take to arrive there.

Bake the cake, remove it from the pan, wrap it well in plastic wrap; put it back in the pan (if you can find a cardboard round that fits the pan, so much the better. Put the round on top of the pan and wrap the whole thing in plastic) and put it in your luggage or carry on.

ETA: you can ice/assemble it there once you arrive.

Edited by JeanneCake (log)

I would recommend baking it small -- multiple 7 inch pans or little loaf pans, etc. They won't break apart as easily.

I have this sort of problem all the time -- my single father has the crappiest kitchen you can imagine, no equipment, and yet he loves it when I bake for him. So I've gone through every permutation and I can vouch for not baking in someone else's kitchen.

I spent the entire day yesterday making cookies, caramel corn, and date bread to mail to him. If you pack things well, they actually get there just fine.

Best to buy some pans you don't mind not bringing home, bake the cakes small in there. Pack them in a cardboard box, one on top of the other, tied shut so that you can show the airport guard what's inside. Generally speaking, they are just fine with whatever it is, often amused.

The only thing that caused me trouble was when I tried to bring some Christine Ferber confiture through Charles DeGaulle. Confiscated. I was so very angry at the time I didn't do what I plan to do if it ever happens again -- open the jars and eat the stuff right there, with my fingers!!!

I cannot believe I went to Paris, sought out and bought several jars and then lost them!!!

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Could you freeze the cake to make it more stable for longer?

I'm not sure about carry-on ... I recently travelled some brownies in their baking tray on a domestic flight - not sure if they would make it through on international given tighter restrictions on liquid etc. I did phone the airline before I travelled to check it would be OK (they thought it was, but were quite iffy about it - I thought I might have to abandon the baking tray!).

Having them frozen meant I didn't have to worry quite so much if a bag was placed on top of them in the overhead compartment - but the hostesses on one of my two flights found a lovely spot for me to put them!

I've travelled with cakes as carry on, and haven't had any problems--flying through the US or Canada (or internationally). That includes travelling with a small savarin which had a dollop of custard and rum syrup.

The cake on its own should be fine. But the icing would present a problem, so icing should definitely be checked in.

Freezing the cake is a good idea, too, depending on how long your flight is. Butif I froze it, I'd probably check it in. The baggage hold is usually colder than the cabin, so that would help keep the cake fresh, I would think.

But if you want it to be pretty, carrying it on is safer.

Buy pizza boxes at your local pizza place - get a size close to the size of your layers. One box per layer. Line with waxed paper, more waxed paper on top. Stack the boxes, tie or tape them together into one package and take as a carry-on. Pack icing separately (with ice pack) in luggage. (TRIPLE WRAP for safety.)

I've carried very large cakes by train this way, then assembled them at the destination.