• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pie Plate Shapes

Shel_B

Will there be any need to adjust baking time using two different shape pie plates, square and circular, of the same material and overall area and depth? Some recipes call for a circular plate, others call for a square baking dish, but with both holding about the same volume, does it matter which is used? I have some recipes that call for a 9" pie plate, but for various reasons I'd like to bake them in a square 8" baking dish.

shel

... Shel

I'm not sure about temp or time, but I would cover the 4 corners with foil to protect them since they will bake a bit quicker.

Does this mean you found your pie plate?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, the local Bed, Bath and Beyond has the Pyrex plates at a good price. When I next go to the store I'll grab or order a couple.

Thanks!

shel

... Shel

I'm not sure about temp or time, but I would cover the 4 corners with foil to protect them since they will bake a bit quicker.

Does this mean you found your pie plate?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, the local Bed, Bath and Beyond has the Pyrex plates at a good price. When I next go to the store I'll grab or order a couple.

Thanks!

shel

make sure to use your 20% coupon. you can use one coupon per item and the coupons never expire. i only buy a few things from bbb and have a stash of like thirty coupons. :wink: