• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Black Iron frying pans

doctortim

I've come across an Australia-based website (meaning, the shipping costs aren't prohibitive) that's offering a great price on black iron frying pans. I've been meaning to get a couple of new pans, and these seem ideal. They can be seasoned, they seem relatively sturdy, can be used in the oven, and aren't as heavy as cast iron. Also, they're cheap.

Here's what I'm talking about

That said, I've never cooked with, let alone seen, "black iron" before. I hope to use it for a range of cooking applications -- frying, making curries, pasta sauces, maybe even cooking a chicken in the oven if my cast iron's in use. Also, my stove has standard electric hotplates, so I want something that will stay flat and won't warp like a certain cheap non-stick I inherited. Versatility and durability are more important to me that how it looks. Does anyone have any advice or experience with black iron pans? Are they a great bargain, or would it be a case of 'you get what you pay for'?

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

"Black iron" appears to be just carbon steel. Steel is neither a good conductor, nor is it heavy enough in this case to retain enough heat to provide even heating over the cooking surface. I think you would need a commercial range for these to really be a good option for day-to-day cooking.

However, their versatility for oven use, and perhaps camping, combined with their low price makes them attractive nonetheless.

I've come across an Australia-based website (meaning, the shipping costs aren't prohibitive) that's offering a great price on black iron frying pans. I've been meaning to get a couple of new pans, and these seem ideal. They can be seasoned, they seem relatively sturdy, can be used in the oven, and aren't as heavy as cast iron. Also, they're cheap.

Here's what I'm talking about

That said, I've never cooked with, let alone seen, "black iron" before. I hope to use it for a range of cooking applications -- frying, making curries, pasta sauces, maybe even cooking a chicken in the oven if my cast iron's in use. Also, my stove has standard electric hotplates, so I want something that will stay flat and won't warp like a certain cheap non-stick I inherited. Versatility and durability are more important to me that how it looks. Does anyone have any advice or experience with black iron pans? Are they a great bargain, or would it be a case of 'you get what you pay for'?

The pan is most likely made from cast iron . They are generally heavier than most

other pans . They take an oil finish , meaning that one can bake or heat them slowly and then oil and season . I use garlic and olive oil in mine and never use soap on the pan as soap will remove the oil . A well seasoned pan is better than teflon , to me . One must be willing to keep the surface oiled or if you wash it , use water and ascrubbie . If you use soap , fine . Dry on the stove over a flame slowly and zap it with some oil and let cool - then wipe it out . Same process is involved with carbon steel knives , as least as far as finish goes . But carbon steel can just be wiped out after use . Well worth a try . if you find an old rusty one , BUY it . You can sand out the rust , wash well , oil and wahla !! I love making soup in my stock pot , but if I use tomatoes, do not leave sitting in the pot . Aproveche'

Not cast iron, these are steel, much like the crepe pans one finds.

They do develop seasoning but they also warp with high temperatures and they develop hot spots, do not heat evenly.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Would these be made of the same material that woks are made of? I have several woks, one that I have had for over 15 years and it is the most non-stick pan I own. Even new non-stick pans can't match it.

Anyone who says I'm hard to shop for doesn't know where to buy beer.

Is there a weight given anywhere?---seems as if such a low price would mean a light pan, ergo: not much bottom between heat and food.

Cast iron is NOT what you want to make tomato sauce in, or pretty much anything you're going to cook in liquid---it gives boiled food a metallic tang, like the scent old coins leave on your hands. And once a pan's been boiled in, the season is gone, and it's another oil-and-bake to fry anything without sticking.

The only time water is used in a black skillet is to make some form of roux-based gravy. All the oil and flour absorb the water into a greasy mass that keeps the surface oiled.

Just one tip for true "black skillet" owners of cast iron: Once a Winter, stick all your skillets right into the coals of your fireplace for a few hours---all the crusty bits on the outside will burn away, and the inside will just need a little seasoning.

Or even into your grill, if you let it run through a whole charcoal-burning with the lid closed.

And NO soap. Salt or soda only, if you need to.

And NO soap.  Salt or soda only, if you need to.

I use soap on my cast iron skillets and spun steel wok all the time. The polymerized oils that make up the seasoning aren't nearly as fragile as people think they are. You don't want to soak these pans in detergent, or scour them with anything really abbrassive, but wiping them down with soapy water and a scrub sponge will do no harm. And it can be necesessary to get fresh oil/food off of them.

If you're not convinced, then take a seasoned skillet you don't care about and TRY to remove the seasoning. good luck!

Notes from the underbelly

Rachel, if you click on the fry pan for instance in the original link it will direct you to a very informational page that has all the specs including weight and thickness.

This appears to be the standard carbon steel pan and as the wesite says the material is carbon steel so there you go. It's design is very similar to the DeBuyer (World Cuisine) Lyon shaped steel pans. It is clearly not cast iron. I also doubt their claim of non-stick. Also this fry pans are pretty thick so warping I don't think will be an issue. Great prices that's for sure but that worries me. don't think you'd want to use this for pasta sauces.

I have a black steel pan by Debuyer fry pan and love it. Great for searing and quick sauces (once it's fully seasoned of course). HERE is where I got mine. Chris, the owner, was very helpful in talking me through which pan to get...blue, black or carbon steel pan. Great prices to from what I've seen and outstanding customer service. The Debuyer pans are very high quality. www.jbprince.com also has carbon steel pans for cheap.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band