• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The dark and the light (chicken, that is)

Fat Guy

Anyway, why pay for just parts? Well, if want to make chicken wings (Buffalo wings), buying just wings is a lot easier.  A chicken has but two wings. I would need to buy lots of chickens to get enough wings to feed just ONE person.  Then, I would have a ton of chicken leftover.  What am I gonna do with all of it?

Make chicken stock? :biggrin: It's been a long time since I bought chicken in a supermarket, so I'm going to take note of prices when I go shopping tomorrow.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I've heard that received industry wisdom is that the white meat/dark meat ratio is about 1:2.

I'm curious about whether this is weight with bone in or just meat?

Edited to add:

My local meat market has "Amish" chickens for $1.29/lb, and a local small supermarket has Smart Chickens on sale this week for $1.59/lb (whole chickens only). The Amish chickens, IMHO, are much tastier.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

The Amish chickens, IMHO, are much tastier.

Do you cook them with their little white bonnets on or off?

(sorry Susan)

I'm also counting on the on-line Amish community to be very small.

Edited by Peter the eater (log)

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Anyway, why pay for just parts? Well, if want to make chicken wings (Buffalo wings), buying just wings is a lot easier.  A chicken has but two wings. I would need to buy lots of chickens to get enough wings to feed just ONE person.   Then, I would have a ton of chicken leftover.  What am I gonna do with all of it?

Make chicken stock? :biggrin: It's been a long time since I bought chicken in a supermarket, so I'm going to take note of prices when I go shopping tomorrow.

heh...

the funny thing is that when I make fried chicken, I cut it up in such a way to yield boness breats. Then I have a nice carcass to make stock. And I don't cook the wings, either. They go into the freezer with the carcass to make stock.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"