• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for the best that NY has to offer..

A Patric

Did Sietsema write about that?  I was on that taco tour (we ate a LOT of tacos).  I wouldn't say that the Mexican is GREAT in Queens, but it is completely dependent on frame of reference.  The tacos we liked the best were not traditional at all.

I thought that I understood them to be traditional, but from a different region than tacos you'd get in other parts of the U.S.

Michael aka "Pan"

Thank you to everyone that has responded. I am going to try and make it to a number of these places.

As for the ethnic cuisine, I am not suggesting that the Chinese, Indian and Japanese that I find in Missouri is necessarily equal in quality to that found in NYC, I simply am not interested in trying those types of cuisine while in NYC. Rather, I would like to try some types that I have not yet ever had, or perhaps even ever heard of...types that would be impossible to find in Missouri (to the best of my knowledge).

Maybe cusine of a variety of African countries.

Perhaps an off-the-beaten-track type of cuisine from South America

Maybe something from Eastern Europe

Maybe a relatively uncommon Asian cuisine

Perhaps something else not on this list

The thing is, since I don't know what NYC has to offer in these, and other, areas that is of excellent quality, I don't know how to be any more specific.

So, any suggestions for excellent restaurants focusing on types of cuisine that I cannot find in Missouri?

Thank you once again,

Alan

As for the ethnic cuisine, I am not suggesting that the Chinese, Indian and Japanese that I find in Missouri is necessarily equal in quality to that found in NYC, I simply am not interested in trying those types of cuisine while in NYC.  Rather, I would like to try some types that I have not yet ever had, or perhaps even ever heard of...types that would be impossible to find in Missouri (to the best of my knowledge).

Hmmm... isn't that like saying i don't want BBQ in NC because I can get it here in NYC?

While you may find singular examples of very exotic cuisines NYC, they may not be as outstanding as more specialized and better executed restaurants that fall into categories you already have in Missouri. I guarantee that NYC would offer a whole other dimension to those 3 ethnicities that you mentioned. Japanese alone, thanks to a huge population of nationals, supply and demand, will have styles and ingredients that you would be very hard pressed to find elsewhere outside of Japan. Here's a perfect example - NYC can support enough Japanese dining that one restaurant is devoted to pig's feet. Everything on the menu; pig's feet..

http://www.tontonnyc.com/

That in mind, most of the Japanese restaurants I listed for you have menus that would seem like something entirely new (might as well be a new country) to a Japanese food-eater from almost anywhere else...

The thing is, since I don't know what NYC has to offer in these, and other, areas that is of excellent quality, I don't know how to be any more specific.

So, any suggestions for excellent restaurants focusing on types of cuisine that I cannot find in Missouri?

OK - How about Ethiopean at Queen of Sheba (best without going uptown) or Moroccan at Tagine

Definitely read Sietsema's reviews on villagevoice.com, although he tends to focus on the outer boroughs -

Eastern Europe... go to greenpoint...

I've found it very hard to find SOUTH Indian vegetarian elsewhere - if you've never had dosai, iddli, bhel, upma, uttapam, .. if you've never heard of these, definitely go to Saravanaas or Madras Mahal - i'm biased but its honestly the only vegetarian cuisine I've ever eaten that is completely fulfilling -

Thank you to everyone that has responded.  I am going to try and make it to a number of these places.

As for the ethnic cuisine, I am not suggesting that the Chinese, Indian and Japanese that I find in Missouri is necessarily equal in quality to that found in NYC, I simply am not interested in trying those types of cuisine while in NYC.  Rather, I would like to try some types that I have not yet ever had, or perhaps even ever heard of...types that would be impossible to find in Missouri (to the best of my knowledge).

Thank you once again,

Alan

African countries: Aside from Ethiopian and Moroccan (and sometimes Tunisian) food, there is some West African food to be had. I haven't been to any of the places yet, but Florence in Harlem has gotten good writeups (more on Chowhound than here, I think).

If you want South American food, you'd be best off getting off at 82nd or 90th St. on the 7 train. Most every kind of mainland Latin-American cuisine (i.e., Mexico/Central America/South America) is represented in that neighborhood. I am no expert on which particular places you should hit, but at least I've given you information that will help your search.

For Eastern Europe, there's a place in Greenpoint that got a good writeup with photos here, but I believe you have to take at least two trains from Manhattan to get there (i.e., I think a transfer to the G is required). Otherwise, Ukrainian East Village in the Ukrainian National Home on 2nd Av. just south of 9th St. has some good food (not all of it equally good) in a somewhat faded but still elegant old-fashioned atmosphere that I like.

Relatively uncommon Asian cuisine: I'll bet you don't have really good Malaysian food in Missouri! Go to Skyway, Allen St. between Division and Canal. Do you have good Korean or Thai food? Tell us.

Something not on the list? New York Cheesecake! (Though you did mention "pastry shops.") Within Manhattan, Two Little Red Hens, 2nd Av. between 85th and 86th, makes a very good classic New York cheesecake, as well as nice bars (lemon bars, lime/coconut bars, etc.) and other stuff. Do you also want recommendations of Greek, Italian, or French pastry places? Also, we DO have "THE BEST" threads on these kinds of things; if you haven't already done so, look at the pinned "'THE BEST' threads" linked list.

Michael aka "Pan"

African countries: Aside from Ethiopian and Moroccan (and sometimes Tunisian) food, there is some West African food to be had. I haven't been to any of the places yet, but Florence in Harlem has gotten good writeups (more on Chowhound than here, I think).

If you want South American food, you'd be best off getting off at 82nd or 90th St. on the 7 train. Most every kind of mainland Latin-American cuisine (i.e., Mexico/Central America/South America) is represented in that neighborhood. I am no expert on which particular places you should hit, but at least I've given you information that will help your search.

For Eastern Europe, there's a place in Greenpoint that got a good writeup with photos here, but I believe you have to take at least two trains from Manhattan to get there (i.e., I think a transfer to the G is required). Otherwise, Ukrainian East Village in the Ukrainian National Home on 2nd Av. just south of 9th St. has some good food (not all of it equally good) in a somewhat faded but still elegant old-fashioned atmosphere that I like.

Relatively uncommon Asian cuisine: I'll bet you don't have really good Malaysian food in Missouri! Go to Skyway, Allen St. between Division and Canal. Do you have good Korean or Thai food? Tell us.

Something not on the list? New York Cheesecake! (Though you did mention "pastry shops.") Within Manhattan, Two Little Red Hens, 2nd Av. between 85th and 86th, makes a very good classic New York cheesecake, as well as nice bars (lemon bars, lime/coconut bars, etc.) and other stuff. Do you also want recommendations of Greek, Italian, or French pastry places? Also, we DO have "THE BEST" threads on these kinds of things; if you haven't already done so, look at the pinned "'THE BEST' threads" linked list.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the info. No Malaysian here that I know of. I also haven't had what I consider to be an authentic Korean meal. However, I have had Thai food in a number of cities including San Francisco, and have spent quite some time working on cooking Thai at home, so short of a visit to Thailand, I am happy with my exposure to Thai cuisine. As for Greek, I would be interested. Italian isn't really calling to me at the moment, and I lived in France for a year, so I think that I'll pass on that too. I am really looking for out-of-the-ordinary, hard-to-find type things in terms of ethnic cuisine. Malaysian fits in well, as does Ukrainian, Ethiopian, etc.

I have been looking at some of the "Best Of" lists, and taking notes.

I'll have to compile a list soon of "must visits" and "would like to visits." Every suggestion helps.

Best,

Alan

Edited by A Patric (log)

OK - How about Ethiopean at Queen of Sheba (best without going uptown) or Moroccan at Tagine

Definitely read Sietsema's reviews on villagevoice.com, although he tends to focus on the outer boroughs -

I've found it very hard to find SOUTH Indian vegetarian elsewhere - if you've never had dosai, iddli, bhel, upma, uttapam, .. if you've never heard of these, definitely go to Saravanaas or Madras Mahal - i'm biased but its honestly the only vegetarian cuisine I've ever eaten that is completely fulfilling -

Thank you.

These sound really interesting.

Alan

I don't think Queen of Sheba is particularly good. Ethiopian is much stronger in DC and LA.

Salut is good uzbeki food. Don BoGan is a newish Korean place that I think is great. Raji is right about Sietsema being a great expert on this sort of thing.

Well, he asked for African nations. Didn't know about LA, but Ethiopians definitely own DC.

I still think Queen of Sheba is pretty good, I think the reviews on here are mostly positive, but, given it's similarity to South Indian and Sri Lankan food, I would opt for the latter 2 if I only had a week here.

I think depending on what you're in the mood for, you can do well on an a la carte basis in and around 32nd street - for instance, bbq and casseroles are great at Woo Chon, jigae at Kun Jip, solungtang at Gah Mee Ohk, etc....

I don't think Queen of Sheba is particularly good.  Ethiopian is much stronger in DC and LA. 

Salut is good uzbeki food.  Don BoGan is a newish Korean place that I think is great.  Raji is right about Sietsema being a great expert on this sort of thing.

Where's Don BoGan? I know there's excellent Korean food in Flushing, but I usually go to Koreatown in Manhattan, especially Han Bat (35th St. just east of 6th Av.), which has good Hyaemul Dolsot Bibimbap (mixed seafood rice put on the table in a hot stone pot) and a good banchan (free side dishes). I recently went to the Mandoo Bar (32nd St. just west of 5th Av.) looking for something soothing and got it -- Vegetable Mandoo Soup, which was not only soothing but also tasty.

As for Greek food, I don't frequent Astoria but in Manhattan, but I enjoy having Pylos (7 St. just west of Av. A) in my neighborhood. Most everything they make is tasty. And for both sweet and savory Greek pastries, I love Poseidon (9th Av. between 44th and 45th Sts.).

Michael aka "Pan"

Where's Don BoGan? I know there's excellent Korean food in Flushing, but I usually go to Koreatown in Manhattan, especially Han Bat (35th St. just east of 6th Av.), which has good Hyaemul Dolsot Bibimbap (mixed seafood rice put on the table in a hot stone pot) and a good banchan (free side dishes). I recently went to the Mandoo Bar (32nd St. just west of 5th Av.) looking for something soothing and got it -- Vegetable Mandoo Soup, which was not only soothing but also tasty.

I was just introduced to "Don BoGan" by a Korean friend of mine. Menupages seems to think it's called Don's BoGam BBQ & Wine Bar, which sounds completely weird to me, but it's at the same location, which is 17 E. 32nd (between Madison and 5th). It's a lot swankier than most of the Koreatown joints, but the food is really awesome.

I was just introduced to "Don BoGan" by a Korean friend of mine.  Menupages seems to think it's called Don's BoGam BBQ & Wine Bar, which sounds completely weird to me, but it's at the same location, which is 17 E. 32nd (between Madison and 5th).  It's a lot swankier than most of the Koreatown joints, but the food is really awesome.

Thanks a lot for that tip, Jesikka! What did you have there? BBQ?

Michael aka "Pan"

I was just introduced to "Don BoGan" by a Korean friend of mine.  Menupages seems to think it's called Don's BoGam BBQ & Wine Bar, which sounds completely weird to me, but it's at the same location, which is 17 E. 32nd (between Madison and 5th).  It's a lot swankier than most of the Koreatown joints, but the food is really awesome.

Thanks a lot for that tip, Jesikka! What did you have there? BBQ?

A mix of bbq and dishes. Unfortunately Michael was ordering in Korean and we were drinking a lot of sake/beer, so the specifics of our order are a touch vague. I know that the seafood pancake was quite good and all of the bbq. We also had soup, something approaching bibimbap, a noodle dish and various other sundries. Everything was good. I can get more specifics if you PM me.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

One thing that I can't believe I forgot to ask about is where to find a restaurant (preferably) or a bar that has an excellent selection of bottled beers, especially Belgian beers. I'm here now, and will be here for two more days, so any thoughts would be appreciated. The closer it is to Chelsea, the better, although anywhere in Manhattan would be OK.

Best,

Alan

Hi all,

One thing that I can't believe I forgot to ask about is where to find a restaurant (preferably) or a bar that has an excellent selection of bottled beers, especially Belgian beers.  I'm here now, and will be here for two more days, so any thoughts would be appreciated.  The closer it is to Chelsea, the better, although anywhere in Manhattan would be OK.

Best,

Alan

the best Belgian beer selection close to Chelsea can be found at The Other Room on Perry and Washington in the WV. about 100 beers, about half of them Belgian. they also have branches in SoHo and TriBeCa.

You can also find a good selection at Valhalla in midtown west, Burp Castle (if it's still open) in the EV, Cafe Alsace on the UES and a few other spots.

And, since you're open to Manhattan in general, dba on 1st Ave. has a nice Belgian bottles selection.

yup! and Resto in Murray Hill has a nice Belgian selection (it also serves each beer with its own branded glass) and good food too.

Actually, now that I have been on Menupages reading about Resto, I'm starting to second-guess going there.

Many people say that the place is noisy, overpriced, and that the food is consistently over-salted.

Even if the primary reason for going there is the beer, I don't know if it would be worth it. Additionally, I noted that ont he Resto website, they push their Belgian beers on tap.

I am really looking for a place with mostly a bottle selection, and with definite decent quality food that is reasonably priced (i.e., not cheap, but not expensive for the quality).

Perhaps people are over-reacting about Resto?

Any thoughts on any of this? Any other places that aren't strictly bars or at least that have great appetizers or small plates?

Thanks again.

Alan

I haven't tried the other places mentioned for Belgian stuff, but I think Spuyten Duyvil is a great bar (in general and for Belgian stuff) and certainly worth trying. It's in Williamsburg, though, so you'll have to take the L 2 stops out into Brooklyn, but they really get some really great stuff, both bottles and taps. Also, if you're interested in lambics, they'll have stuff on tap at times besides their bottles. Ratebeerians usually do a tasting/event there in the late spring when Spuyten Duyvil has some sort of lambic event.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Spitzer's Corner, maybe. Ludlow & Rivington.

But the reality is that most great bars have shitty food, and most restaurants have less than fantastic Belgian bottled beer selections.

Notice, I said most.

There is a place called Loreley on Rivington St. - but I just checked and it's German - Loreley. Good food and beer, though.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Thanks to everyone.

We hit Resto last night after all. It was a bit noisy, but not uncomfortably so. The wait wasn't bad (maybe 20 minutes). The service was competent. The food was decent. And...I got my beer. I'm happy.

The main drawback was that it was a bit pricey for what it was.

I'll keep these other places in mind for the future.

Best,

Alan

Actually, now that I have been on Menupages reading about Resto, I'm starting to second-guess going there.

Many people say that the place is noisy, overpriced, and that the food is consistently over-salted.

Even if the primary reason for going there is the beer, I don't know if it would be worth it.  Additionally, I noted that ont he Resto website, they push their Belgian beers on tap. 

I am really looking for a place with mostly a bottle selection, and with definite decent quality food that is reasonably priced (i.e., not cheap, but not expensive for the quality).

Perhaps people are over-reacting about Resto?

Any thoughts on any of this?  Any other places that aren't strictly bars or at least that have great appetizers or small plates?

Thanks again.

Alan

menupages reviews are generally written by idiots. Resto is cheap for Manhattan.

• 13 years later...

Bumping this old thread - for some reason, I just now read that Murray's was acquired by Kroger a few years ago (2017-2018?).  I haven't been there since long before then...

Can anyone here who may have been a long time Murray's customer (at the Bleecker St store) comment on the quality since the takeover?