• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying gum paste roses

chefjillm

Hi, we have a cake order that wants gum paste roses. We can make them, but since our location is small and the staff is only the two of us we are looking into buying them. I have searched the internet and only came up with one site shopbakernook.com. Does anyone have any suggestions for another site? Also what is a reasonable charge if we make them ourselves? Thank you!

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

Cal Java has the best flowers and they also sell to Pfeil and Holing, which is close to you. Plus, P&H won't charge you for shipping - min order is $50 (the cost of the flowers is a little higher than CJ - if you register with CJ as a business you get a discount and it all sort of works out to the same price between the two places).

You could also check out Avalon in NY - Avalon

Pfeil and Holing is at P&H

Sometimes the white store bought flowers are dipped in color & alcohol or painted. Some of my friends have experienced them dissolving. So a potential question to ask is, can they be dipped. If in fact you intend to use this method. I guess they got a bad batch of gum paste or forgot the gum or starch in there or something.

Reasonable charge for making them yourselves would be the same as a florist in your area charges for the same stem.

Have you seen the pre-cut pastillage pieces from Albert Uster I think it is? You can make a myriad of pieces from their stuff. Very time saving and upscale.

i second using pfeil and holing, great selection and fast delivery.

Avalon is also great, I drive there when i need some items short notice, terrific customer service and the owner is extremely friendly.

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman