• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Damn good wines

Florida Jim

Sushi tuna roll first followed by a dish of rich noodles with Aduki beans and spicy peanut sauce:

1999 Nigl, Riesling Piri Privat:

Twice the wine my last bottle of this was; penetrating nose of resin, white fruit, honey and flowers; rich in the mouth with crisp acidity, deep flavors, honeyed tones and excellent concentration – this echoes with layers of flavor; long, strongly flavored finish that leaves your mouth watering. A lovely wine, without question, and it has many years left in the cellar. 13% alcohol, imported by M. Skurnik and about $40, on release; I would definitely buy it again.

Chosen for the spiciness of the sauce - ‘I done good.’ Not special with the sushi but memorable with the peanut sauced noodles. The honeyed tones shave the hottest notes off the spice and the flavors merge in a way that makes a relatively simple dish step-up into five star territory. One of the best pairings for this wine I have encountered.

Sautéed mahi mahi with Diane’s version of gremolata sauce and roasted sweet dumpling (winter) squash:

2000 Louis Michel, Chablis Les Clos:

Candied lemon peel and fresh air on the nose; concentrated, bright and viscous in the mouth with precise flavors that follow the nose, mineral accents and excellent balance; very persistent. Very close to V. Dauvissat’s Clos from this vintage – and that is saying something. 13% alcohol, imported by Vineyard Brands and about $42 on release; I wish I could find more at that price.

Chosen to match the lemon in the sauce, this was perfect with the fish and adequate with the squash. The sauce and the wine were cut from the same cloth.

Polenta with arugala and parmesan, and, grouper Mediterranean:

1999 Drouhin, Volnay Clos des Chênes:

Both red and black fruit elements in the nose with mineral and candy bar smells; rich, stylish wine with depth, strong flavors, mineral accents, that Beaune firmness and a purity that is both seductive and loaded with finesse; very, very long, detailed finish. This wine has gained weight and complexity since release and is becoming all that fine Volnay can be. Almost hidden structure, powerful fruit, sustain to burn – and still classy and delicious. 13% alcohol, imported by Dreyfus-Ashby and about $42 on release; worth double or more.

Chosen for the Mediterranean style of the entrée, it worked very well with the food. Adding nuance and flavor to the polenta and accenting the fish dish with exact balance. A very good match – and a stellar wine even without the meal.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com