• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Would you care for a drink before dinner?

lancastermike

So over strolls the server and asks if we would like a drink. Of course I reply. A Manhattan up, I say.

Well, the drink comes in a glass big enough to hold the contents of a small aquarium. However, that is another topic.

Please, please, please allow me to finish my drink before food starts showing up. I guess I could solve this myself by not ordering anything until I am done, but than I have to wait. I would really like to finish my before dinner drink before dinner.

I love bourbon, but not as a beverage with my food.

This has happened to me in places I would hope would know better. But I guess we got to turn those tables.

As an aside to this, many servers have not a clue to the rudiments of beverage service. This old bartender cringes at things I see. Put that cocktail glass on a tray and carry it over, don’t wrap your hand around it and bring it to me

As an aside to this, many servers have not a clue to the rudiments of beverage service. This old bartender cringes at things I see. Put that cocktail glass on a tray and carry it over, don’t wrap your hand around it and bring it to me

No kidding. I see this with wine by the glass all the time. Server wraps his/her hand around the bowl of the glass and carries it over to the table from the bar or wherever it was poured.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Yet again more evidence that the big chain restaurants, through which most servers pass at one time or another, must be infiltrated and converted to demanding good server etiquette.

Just like Little League gives the rudiments of good baseball to the masses, the TGI McFriendly's of the world are the entry for many to the server ranks. Think of the good they could do by teaching the fundamentals.

Edited by gfweb (log)