• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch spot for a D.C. first-timer

jende

My husband and I have a long layover at Dulles coming soon and we're going to take the opportunity to explore a little in D.C. for the afternoon. We'll probably concentrate on the Mall since we've never been to the city before.

Can someone recommend a nice place for lunch? Price isn't really a consideration, but I'd prefer a more laid-back vs. formal atmosphere. I'm woefully unfamiliar with the D.C. dining scene so any help would be most appreciated.

I should add that we'll be there on a Saturday.

Edited by jende (log)

My husband and I have a long layover at Dulles coming soon and we're going to take the opportunity to explore a little in D.C. for the afternoon. We'll probably concentrate on the Mall since we've never been to the city before.

Can someone recommend a nice place for lunch? Price isn't really a consideration, but I'd prefer a more laid-back vs. formal atmosphere. I'm woefully unfamiliar with the D.C. dining scene so any help would be most appreciated.

I should add that we'll be there on a Saturday.

How long is your layover?I'm assuming you'll have a car. Near the mall there is Cafe du Parc in the Willard Intercontinental Hotel, and Occidental Grill. Both nice for lunch and have outdoor seating should the weather still be nice. In DC, you could be in shorts til Thanksgiving, so you never know.

Edited by monavano (log)

You might want to glance at this topic, and see if anything strikes your fancy; it also has more detailed discussions of the restaurants below (to which I hope you'll contribute). If you're a Hopper fan, btw, you're in luck: mega-retrospective at the National Gallery. Very hot right now.

Saturday lunch is tough, because most places are closed. Nonetheless there are some good spots open, all on the north side of the Mall (do not waste your time looking for food on the Mall's south side) all about equidistant from Constitution Avenue. Starting towards the Capitol and working west towards the Monument and the White House, you can get all Latin-y at either of two stars in the Jose Andres constellation, Cafe Atlantico's very hip Latino dim sum brunch (which certain reprobates suggest is best enjoyed at the bar with a selection excellent and unique cocktails) or Jaleo, a tapas joint just a couple of blocks away. My experience is that the dim sum brunch can be hit or miss, but the misses are pretty good and the hits are muy bueno. Jaleo is consistently very good on a less exotic but very tasty level. Nice wine list emphasizing Spain and South America. These are not far from the National Gallery or the Archives.

I'm assuming you aren't interested in the Hard Rock Cafe so, as you proceed towards the White House leave Latin America for France, at the Willard Hotel's Cafe du Parc. Fine Bistro food and, should be a clement afternoon, lovely outdoor seating in the shadow of the White House.

It is said, by people whom I trust, that the cafeteria at the American Indian Museum is quite good, with offerings based on native American cooking, but I have no first-hand experience.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.