• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Wines with food and friends

Florida Jim

Nathan and Evie stopped by on their trek west:

Gazpacho:

2005 Edmond Vatan, Sancerre Clos la Néore:

Initially, quite angular but after time in the glass the grassy aromas fade out, the fruit takes over and the texture smoothes; a beautiful bottle sauvignon with at least a short term shelf life. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Wine Cellars, Ltd. and about $42; actually worth it.

Excellent with the soup.

Summer squash salad:

2004 Rhys, Chardonnay:

Massive wine; concentrated, intense, very young, oaky and without question, of California origin. Not my style. 14.6% alcohol price unknown; not for me. Thanks Kevin.

Too much wine for the dish.

Anchovy, onion, olive, feta and parmesan tart:

1988 Verset, Cornas:

Complex, resolved, feminine and yet slightly sauvage; this is terrific Cornas filled with character, nuance and persistence – a great wine, at peak. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Kermit Lynch and price unknown; spectacular juice! Thanks Nathan.

Beyond perfect with the dish.

Assorted cheese:

1995 Barthod, Bourgogne:

Firm and focused; lovely aromas and strongly flavored, this shows very young but also above its AOC. ‘Makes me wonder how long my ‘99’s will require in the cellar. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Rosenthal and price unknown. Thanks Nathan.

Good with the cheeses.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com