• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Preserving mushrooms

Morten

Ive got a bug bunch of button mushrooms and want to make something nice out of them. Ive google some ways to dry them and discovered that drying them is nice and easy.

So before going to bed tonight im gonna put them on some sticks and let them sit in the ovnen at the lowest setting (about 60celcius) until they are dried up.

Im considering after drying them to put them in a jar with oliveoil as you can do with dried tomatoes. I know if you do it with dried tomatoes, their acidicity helps preserving them for a long time, but im fairly certain that mushrooms dont have that much acid in them, so im wondering what things i can do to keep them safe.

http://www.grydeskeen.dk - a danish foodblog :)

Morten, assuming that your mushrooms are correctly identified (VERY important), just slice them, and dry them thoroughly (and at a low temperature - 60C is maybe a bit high, almost cooking) - a lower temperature, for longer, ideally with some air movement, is a better idea than trying to do it quickly.

If they really are thoroughly dry, then all you need do is to put them into a clean dry jamjar, and screw the lid on tightly. But if they are not dry right through, they will go mouldy - one important reason for slicing really thinly.

More suggestions, from an author I respect, here: *link*.

Even how to bottle in oil (don't dry them; pickle them!).

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

You might also check out this article which was sent to me in a subscription email newsletter on 8/17

A Cook's Guide to Fresh Mushrooms

I dry mushrooms by just putting them in a wire colander and leaving them on the kitchen counter (on a tray or sheet of paper so the shed spores won't stain the counter). They will not change appearance, they just become very light, as they lose liquid. You have to pick one up to fell the change. When you can crumble one completely, they are dry enough to store. Obviously, the thicker mushrooms take longer. I remove the stems (but dry them also) from the bigger mushrooms (Portabella) and from those with fatter stems (Porcini or Cepes).

For short term preserving in the fridge, and particularly for button mushrooms, try this

terrific recipe for Marinated Mushrooms

I have tried many recipes and this one is by far the best yet.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett