• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Chinese in ChinaTown?

CaliPoutine

Where can we get some good Chinese in Chinatown?

Would you define "good"? :smile:

Good as in good price? Good atmosphere? Good taste - even a hole in the wall? Good as in Americanized good or the Chinese locals good?

Also, are you looking for:

Dim sum?

Cantonese seafood dinner?

Sichuan?

Shanghai?

Most of the Chinese population (and thus "good" Chinese restaurants) are within the SF city and along the south peninsula, not in the Marin County. Looks like you may need to cross the Golden Gate Bridge in search of good Chinese food.

There are a few Chinese restaurants in Sausalito but I haven't tried them.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Where can we get some good Chinese in Chinatown?

Would you define "good"? :smile:

Good as in good price? Good atmosphere? Good taste - even a hole in the wall? Good as in Americanized good or the Chinese locals good?

Also, are you looking for:

Dim sum?

Cantonese seafood dinner?

Sichuan?

Shanghai?

Most of the Chinese population (and thus "good" Chinese restaurants) are within the SF city and along the south peninsula, not in the Marin County. Looks like you may need to cross the Golden Gate Bridge in search of good Chinese food.

There are a few Chinese restaurants in Sausalito but I haven't tried them.

Good prices, I dont care about the atmosphere( as long as its clean). I already have reccomendations for Dim Sum, I'm looking for the kind of Chinese food I grew up with( New York Style). I'm sure that is Americanized, although I'd try authentic. No Sichuan, I have no tolerance for spice.

I was hoping to find someplace in Chinatown

I may need some translation service here. I lived half my life in Hong Kong and half in California. Though I lived in NYC for 2 months, I don't know what New York style Chinese food is about. What dishes would you be looking for?

- Shrimp with lobster sauce?

- Chicken lo mein?

- Moo shu pork?

I haven't been dining in SF China Town for years. Not that there are no good ones, but there are many that seem over the hill, and there are many which are geared for tourists. Over twent years ago I used to frequent "Yuet Lee" (Broadway and Stockton). Cantonese seafood. "House of Nanking" is on Kearny and Jackson. They are really "hole in the wall" but very popular with tourists because they are on the Zagat Guide from what I understand. The waiting line is usually so long that you can see it on Google Earth. But the turn overs are quick because the seatings are "elbow to elbow" uncomfortable. I might be one of the very few Chinese who likes their food, as I found myself the only Asian patron in the whole dining room the few times that I visited. Tourists just like to have some Chinese food and then on their merry way to tour the rest of Grant Street. (Either that or walk over to the bars on Broadway) LOL. :laugh:

Unless you want to visit China Town to walk around after dinner. If you go there solely for Chinese food, I would recommend you to go to the Richmond district instead of China Town. It's closer too from San Rafael. After crossing the GG Bridge, take the exit to Highway-1 South. It turns into Park Presidio Blvd You want to go East on Clement Street but you cannot make left turns on Park Presidio Blvd. Best is to right turn on California Street, left on 14th Ave, then down a block and make another left onto Clement Street (east bound). You will find many good, inexpensive Chinese restaurant along Clement between about 10th and 4th. The ones I frequent include:

- Lee Hou

- Ocean Restaurant

- D&A

- Coriya (hot pot and BBQ, self-served buffet)

- Spice and Spice II (really good Sichuan but I understand you don't eat spicy food)

Most of them serve Cantonese seafood - live from the fish tank. Prices are quite reasonable. e.g. half a salt-baked chicken for $6.50, something like that. Lee Hou is the best out of the 3. If you don't see something you like on the menu, ask them to make it for you. They would probably do it. D&A is really a hole in the wall but packed with local Chinese patrons. Parking is bad in the weekends but is better than Chinatown anyway.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

• 2 weeks later...
I may need some translation service here.  I lived half my life in Hong Kong and half in California.  Though I lived in NYC for 2 months, I don't know what New York style Chinese food is about.  What dishes would you be looking for?

- Shrimp with lobster sauce?

- Chicken lo mein?

- Moo shu pork?

I haven't been dining in SF China Town for years.  Not that there are no good ones, but there are many that seem over the hill, and there are many which are geared for tourists.  Over twent years ago I used to frequent "Yuet Lee" (Broadway and Stockton).  Cantonese seafood.    "House of Nanking" is on Kearny and Jackson.  They are really "hole in the wall" but very popular with tourists because they are on the Zagat Guide from what I understand.  The waiting line is usually so long that you can see it on Google Earth.  But the turn overs are quick because the seatings are "elbow to elbow" uncomfortable.  I might be one of the very few Chinese who likes their food, as I found myself the only Asian patron in the whole dining room the few times that I visited.  Tourists just like to have some Chinese food and then on their merry way to tour the rest of Grant Street.  (Either that or walk over to the bars on Broadway)  LOL.    :laugh: 

Unless you want to visit China Town to walk around after dinner.  If you go there solely for Chinese food, I would recommend you to go to the Richmond district instead of China Town.  It's closer too from San Rafael.  After crossing the GG Bridge, take the exit to Highway-1 South.  It turns into Park Presidio Blvd  You want to go East on Clement Street but you cannot make left turns on Park Presidio Blvd.  Best is to right turn on California Street, left on 14th Ave, then down a block and make another left onto Clement Street (east bound).  You will find many good, inexpensive Chinese restaurant along Clement between about 10th and 4th.  The ones I frequent include:

- Lee Hou

- Ocean Restaurant

- D&A

- Coriya (hot pot and BBQ, self-served buffet)

- Spice and Spice II (really good Sichuan but I understand you don't eat spicy food)

Most of them serve Cantonese seafood - live from the fish tank.  Prices are quite reasonable.  e.g.  half a salt-baked chicken for $6.50, something like that.  Lee Hou is the best out of the 3.  If you don't see something you like on the menu, ask them to make it for you.  They would probably do it.  D&A is really a hole in the wall but packed with local Chinese patrons.  Parking is bad in the weekends but is better than Chinatown anyway.

For some reason, I'm not getting any notifications telling me of responses to my posts. Anway, I checked back here this morning because we wanted Chinese for lunch. We ended up going to Lee Hou on Clement. We both did not like it at all. Maybe we ordered the wrong things though. I do know we were the only white folks in the place. I did take pics though and I'll post them when I get back.