• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gourmet Shops of New York: Markets, Foods, Recipes

Ohhhhhhhh my GAWD, this book is amazing. I saw it in the display window while walking past B&N at Lincoln Center, came out with it in a bag 15 minutes later.

Written by Susan Meisel and Nathalie Sann and published by Rizzoli, this book offers a breakdown of the best shops in the city by neighborhood with pictures that will have you drooling!

It starts with Manhattan and its sections up to the Upper West Side, then goes on to The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island. There are even recipes from some of the proprietors, then indexes by neighborhood, category and recipe! It's full-color, has HUNDREDS of beautiful photograps and is about 260 pages.

I can't wait to trek around and explore some of the places in it that I wasn't aware of, starting with a pickle from Gus's on the Lower East Side. LOL

Gourmet Shops of New York is definitely a must have for the locals and the folks that are planning a trip here. You can read it from cover to cover, make a list a mile long and have at 'em. Amazon reviewers also agree, nothing but 5 star reviews so far!

Has anyone else seen or purchased this book? I did a search but didn't see anything come up that was recent. LUVS IT.

Edited by The Naughti Literati (log)