• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where would you eat in Villejuif?

Abra

We'll be in Villejuif about once a month, and I'm wondering if there are any interesting restaurants there, or whether it's better to go back into Paris to eat. I think I've heard that it's a center of Chinese immigration - does that translate to really good Chinese food?

We'll be in Villejuif about once a month, and I'm wondering if there are any interesting restaurants there, or whether it's better to go back into Paris to eat.  I think I've heard that it's a center of Chinese immigration - does that translate to really good Chinese food?

Wow I never thought I'd see this one on the France forum.

I happen to be an expert on eating in Villejuif, or should I say, on not eating in Villejuif.

I was out there to give a talk a couple of years ago and "cased" every restaurant within a mile of the hospital I was at and there was no there there. There are indeed Chinese places but if, say you look at viaMichelin, it advises you to go to l'Avant Gout, Regalade, l'Ourcine etc.

So, since it's so near the city by Metro, I think I'd advise you to do that.

PS I wound up eating sandwiches the patients had prepared and they weren't half bad. And the wine was pretty good too.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Since you are asking about Villejuif alone, and do not necessarily want to stray away from it, there are two solutions:

- head directly to the next city, Vitry-sur-Seine, really close, and to its new museum of Modern Art (MacVal). Eat at Le Transversal, the museum restaurant. Laurent Chareau's cuisine is really interesting.

- a few métro stops away from Villejuif on the line n°7, you have plenty of Asian options in the 13e. Unfortunately I do not know about Asian restaurants in Villejuif. There are Asian supermarkets and stores, but I'd tend to believe most of the better restaurants are still in Paris, just across the Périphérique.

Eat at Le Transversal, the museum restaurant. Laurent Chareau's cuisine is really interesting.
For me, a mixed review.
- a few métro stops away from Villejuif on the line n°7, you have plenty of Asian options in the 13e.

I agree. But you'll be in France and coming from the Asiatically-superior Northwest - as my 3 1/2 year old says - Why?

Go a bit farther - 2 stops - 5 minutes - live!

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

For me, a mixed review.

Well they will be as close as can be, and they should try it anyway. At the last Summer Fooding the most interesting dishes by far were by Passard, Chareau and Colliot. I really like that chef and that place.

But you'll be in France and coming from the Asiatically-superior Northwest - as my 3 1/2 year old says - Why?

Go a bit farther - 2 stops - 5 minutes - live!

Some Asian restaurants in the XIIIe are really good, you just have to know where they are. And if our friends want to sample them (info by PM if needed), they just hop onto the métro and it's 3 stops.

Wow, I didn't know it was a taboo topic! In any case, we'll be going back to the Gare de Lyon after each Villejuif visit, so if there's nothing worthwhile there we won't try to invent a reason to eat out there. But we're bound to get mad Asian food cravings, so we'll undoubtedly make a few forays out that way.

Actually, rather than PM them, Pti, could you add them to this existing topic to which you've already generously contributed.  Thanks.  John

They're all in my last update of the topic except the odd secret place and a couple that need further testing.

I still recommend Le Transversal — it would be a pity to be so close and not try it when so many Parisians do not go there because it's deep down in a suburb. The place is beautiful and soothing, too.

Edited by Ptipois (log)