• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Latin American Cheap Eats in Providence Area

Chris Amirault

As most know, there are a huge number of folks in Providence RI who hail from the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Guatemala, and Mexico. I've been slowly trying this and that throughout the city for years, and I've got a short list of places we'll hit:

Carolina's on Broad St for most beans, rice, and meat dishes;

Chilango's on Manton Ave (at Atwells Ave) for suadero, chorizo, and other soft tacos;

Sonrisa on Cranston St for chicharones tacos;

La Arepa on Smithfield Ave in Pawtucket for their pabellon arepas.

There are dozens of places and thousands of dishes that I haven't tried, though, so what else is out there, and what do you get? For example, we've struck out at Mi Guatemala a few times, but I think it's an ordering problem more than anything else.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

• 4 weeks later...

Went to the much-bally-hooed La Lupita tonight and got a variety of things. Not bad, but not good: decent carnitas tacos, but just ok pastor; Maseca tamales with too much baking soda in the dough. Black instead of pinto beans, canned salsas and pickles.

We were there because Chilango's closes for Wednesdays. I guess we'll eat Mexican out on non-Wednesdays only.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

• 7 months later...

Just back from Sanchez Market on Atwells at Academy, where in the back of the store you can order outstanding barbacoa soft tacos made from tortillas hot from the back. Two of those and a Jarritos naranja soda: $4. Best lunch in Providence.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory