• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Pairing for Oatmeal w/ fish

dabstar

I've been challenged to pair wine with a four course menu a chef friend of mine is preparing in a couple of days.

I'm having troubles with the second starter which will be porridge of oats with a piece of (probably) grilled sea bass or similar fish.

I'm normally work with pairing beer and food and my wine knowledge is limited.

With beer i'd definetely go with something dark. Either a Schwarzbeer or a light Porter with significant bitterness..

But with wine i'm a little lost. I'm thinking maybe a nice Pinot Gris/Grigio for the mineral flavor and acidity or maybe trying a good very light champagne.

Any other comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

David

I'll start with a disclaimer that I'm no where near as experienced as some of the other regulars here, but I'll give you what my thinking would be.

I'd try to find a white that can stand up to the porridge in terms of mouthfeel, but have enough acidity/fruit/mineral to contrast. Perhaps an unoaked/lightly oaked chard? A Burgundy perhaps?

Is that offbase?

Edited by MattJohnson (log)

I'm similarly stumped, but just talking off the top of my head...

Maybe a slightly oaked, richer example of a Chardonnay from a warm-weather climate, perhaps from Sicily or (be careful about too much oak) California or Australia, or even the Maconnais? The grilled sea bass would be rich, and (I'm assuming) the oatmeal would be creamy from starch; the butteriness of the Chardonnay might complement both. As for flavors, the slight oakiness would help the wine to stand up to the smoke from the grill, and the vanilla and tropical fruit flavors might go well with the oatmeal.

Again, just a shot in the dark...

Here's a question: why not pair the dish with beer? Especially if you have something in mind that you believe to be perfect?

Oh, and welcome to eG, dabstar!

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I agree with Melissa. If you have a great beer in mind then go with it. Wine has long held dominance in pairings with food but it is time to let beer shine in its own right. Maybe go with wines for the rest of the courses but take this opportunity to indroduce the concept of good beer with good food.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

MelissaH: As I normally work with beer it would be a no-brainer to match it with beer. But it is part of a challenge to test my wine-pairing skills.

Jim and Others: I can understand your "Stumpedness" but I'm from Copenhagen, Denmark where neo-Nordic food is the big hit and we actually have several gourmet restaurants who would serve something similar: Noma and the newly opened Geranium whose headchef is the bocuse d'or '07 runner up Rasmus Kofoed. Rasmus Kofoed is know for his many porridges made with different cerals (Cream of wheat, oatmeal and many many more)

But thanks again for all your suggestion. I'm on my way out the door to my local wine store to see what they have and i'll let you know it works out.

David

I'd agree with Pinot Gris - a nice Alsace one.

With Oatmeal Porrdge Whisky is traditional. Usually there is cream or butter involved - what is the sauce?

Are you sure the porridge is wet? It would be more usual to coat the fish with the dry oats instead of crumbs and then shallow fry it, so the fish is the major component and the oats minor. In which case any good white winem and back to a nice Alsace Pinot Gris...