• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Comments on MAPS of restos in and outside Paris

Jean Blanchard

Wow! Terrific. Yes, please open up the editing.

Via PM if you don't want to go fully public. I'll see if I can add things like phone numbers & other relevant data.

Also, how would I go about extending this to other types of restaurant in Paris or to good restaurants in other parts of France?

This looks like a lot of fun.

wahoo, nice work !

just wanted to add that there is a little error on le comptoir du relais, which is not well located on the map (should be left bank, next to "la cremerie"), but again, nice work !

Edited by daemon (log)

Let Eat Be

Food, Wine & other Delights

Thanks for all of the positive feedback on this. Four inches of snow and slush here in Brooklyn last night ruled out any training for the marathon today so I went ahead and added in the phone numbers and hours/days open. Again, most of the practicalities are from Le Fooding, hopefully they're accurate. I didn't have the patience to translate all of the days of the week, but my guess is most can figure it out easily enough.

Daemon, thanks for the sharp eyes on Le Comptoir du Relais. I've made the edit.

Dave, I want to play around the with the access rights a little bit more and then I'll either throw it open to all to play with or PM you. As for doing this for restaurants in other cities or price ranges, it's really pretty easy to do. I used http://www.zeesource.net/maps/home.do to set this up. You simply type in the name of the marker and the address and it does the rest. I don't really know anything about this company, I found it by googling "gmap and customized." Hopefully it's a fairly stable platform and continues to be free.

It might not be a bad idea to add in other (non-budget) restaurants to the current map using a different color marker. Do people think it would be better to have separate maps or one with everything?

I'll try to keep it up to date for a while and will then happily turn control over to someone who gets to Paris more frequently than I do.

Cheers,

Joe

Great work indeed and thanks for sharing this with us. How do you qualify a "budget restaurant?"

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I'll try to keep it up to date for a while and will then happily turn control over to someone who gets to Paris more frequently than I do.

Not so fast; You did it, you own it.

Seriously, the more help we have on the France Forum, the better it will get.

Doc has an interesting point because the places vary in price from Prune at 18 E to Comptoir at 42 E (menus).

I don't have a ready answer about whether to create different maps for different price ranges; I guess it might be neat to have it all on one map with one group of places, like you've done, with yellow tags running up to 50 E; one group of tags with another color for 50-100 E; and a third bunch over 100 E per person. But any expansion would take a fair amount of work; can we do it Wikipedia style?

Again this is a great start; I'll add it to our What you need to know.... thread.

John

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

OK, I adjusted it a little bit so that it no longer says "budget restaurants" and added just a few mid priced and luxe places with different colored pins. I'll slowly keep adding stuff as I browse through the archives but how about if people add some of their favorites as well, per John's wikipedia suggestion? I put in about 60 of them in very little time but I'm sure that I'm missing tons of good places.

The map allows for an access level that allows people to add new points and adjust some of the specifics of existing points without having the full moderator privileges.

To login just click on the "login" link in the upper right hand corner and enter "egullet" as the password.

To add a new place, click on "Add Marker" and fill out the restaurant name, address, city, and other relevant information. After you click "submit" you usually have to click on the word "paris" just to confirm that it's finding the right location and then click submit again.

I don't think that it allows members to edit or delete existing entries, so if you see something that needs to be changed or deleted just PM me.

Joe

absolutely brilliant joe! thank you so much for all of your hard work. it is very much appreciated.

the petit ami and i will be in bergerac/bordeaux/paris from may 1st to may 21st. this marks my first trip to france and his first trip off of the continent. as we are both recent university graduates, we will be sticking to a budget and we really appreciate all of your suggestions.

we will definitely report back with pictures :biggrin:

take care all!

ps-if anyone has any dining suggestions in the bordeaux/bergerac region & surrounding areas, it would be very helpful!

• 2 weeks later...

What a great idea to share and list restaurant recommendations! The map feature will be very useful, and you save me a lot of research time, thanks!

By the way, can anyone suggest a restaurant or two in Lyon?

What a great idea to share and list restaurant recommendations!  The map feature will be very useful, and you save me a lot of research time, thanks!
Let's keep this thread focused on the map.
By the way, can anyone suggest a restaurant or two in Lyon?

Regarding Lyon, let's respond here.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 4 months later...
Very cool!  What a great resource this will be when you get it done.  A few markers are out in the ocean, mysteriously.

No mystery. Read the introduction on the left side of the map. The "ocean" entries are those that I couldn't pin down to a specific location. Restaurants with rooms for instance shows places literally all over the map.

Enjoy.

I expect you to start contributing from the far South in, What? 17 days?