• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to find French cured meats in NYC?

Vinotas

Hey all,

I love French cured meats, like Rosette de Lyon and dry saucisson. And while I can find lots of Italian cured meats, it's absolutely impossible to find the French version in the USA.

Am I missing something? Is there somewhere I should go? Or are they just not imported? I resort to bringing it back from France whenever I go, but that lasts me about a week to 10 days as I eat small slices for breakfast.

Sigh...

Thanks in advance!

Cheers! :cool:

Hey all,

I love French cured meats, like Rosette de Lyon and dry saucisson.  And while I can find lots of Italian cured meats, it's absolutely impossible to find the French version in the USA.

Am I missing something?  Is there somewhere I should go?  Or are they just not imported?  I resort to bringing it back from France whenever I go, but that lasts me about a week to 10 days as I eat small slices for breakfast.

Sigh...

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!  :cool:

I know what you mean. When I lived in NYC I used to buy cooked jambon de Paris at Garden of Eden on East 14th between 5th and Union Square. Unlike American cooked ham, it smells and tastes of pork, not embalming fluid. Fantastic on a buttered baguette from Balthazar with a glass of Côtes du Rhône.

I don't remember if they had Rosette de Lyon or other French cured meats. For example, I don't think I've ever seen jambon de Bayonne in the U.S.--I seem to recall that it was still on the federal ban list, but I'm not sure. You might also check Dean & Deluca in SoHo, maybe Citarella or Zabar's on the UWS.

D'oh!

I completely forgot to check D'Artagnan, I see they do carry a dry-cured saucisson sec for $24.99 (2 lbs). Hmmm... might have to order that and check it out. I know their French pancetta (ventreche) is quite nice, I used it in the cassoulet kit they sell (which is quite nice).

Thanks for the recommendations!

I would second D'artagnan, their saucisson sec is really good stuff. I think Zabar's carries it.

Really? I hope it's cheaper than the $24.99 they're asking for on d'Artagnan's website (not including tax & s/h).

I do wonder why it's so difficult to find, it's delicious stuff and I'd think foodies in this country would go nuts over it.

Being of French descent, I am biased (might I even be genetically pre-disposed?) and I prefer it to most of the Italian cured meats.

This from Cuozzo in the NY Post of August 8: 'WHEN Bar Boulud opens at 1900 Broadway (at 64th Street) in early November, it will follow a time- honored Upper West Side tradition:

'Its charcuterie (basically French for "deli") items will be available for takeout, although "we won't have bicycle delivery," Daniel Boulud laughed.

'The charcuterie bar run by famed Parisian master Gilles Verot will be the main, but not the only, focus....'.