• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Preserved Lime and Salted Plum

TAPrice

I love both the preserved lime and salted plum drinks at my local Vietnamese restaurant. They're sweet, salty, tangy...yum. The drink arrives with either item at the bottom of an ice filled glass and a bottle of soda water to mix with it.

Can someone tell me how to make these? Is the preserved lime probably sprinkled with sugar in the drink?

Are there other uses for these ingredients?

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I wonder if you can make preserved limes the same way as lemons? But that doesn't answer your question! Just a thought.

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I wonder if you can make preserved limes the same way as lemons? But that doesn't answer your question! Just a thought.

I started some a month ago, but I haven't used them yet. Also, I've never had them -- I just happened to have a bunch leftover.

I also have a jar of preserved lemons I started a month or so ago, I would love to use them in the salty lemon drink, in fact, had that in mind when I preserved them! I just picked up a bag of key limes......I wonder? any thoughts?

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

search for Tirk nam-ngau preserved lime (lemon) drink

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

That is the vietnameese name for the drink, I think. I found it searching msn for the drink recipe. It should show 3 links, each will take you to the recipe.

ETA......I notice you are from New Orleans, that is where I first tried the drink at Pho Bang! :biggrin:

Edited by nonblonde007 (log)

Brenda