• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Suggestions

I will be in Seattle to see Daft Punk this Sunday and am looking for suggestions. We want to keep it casual and not too expensive as my boyfriend is meeting us after a week eating in San Francisco, and the people we are going with aren't really diners. This is more of a party trip :smile:

I'd like to take advantage of happy hour one night, is this only a weekday thing? So far I'm looking at Matt's at the Market, Union, Salumi on Tuesday for lunch. We've eaten at Le Pichet, Crow, and Cafe Campagne and a few bakeries.

The show on Sunday starts at 8 and is at the WaMu Theatre (800 Occidental Ave S), and we are staying at The Fairmont.

thanks!

For casual and close-ish to downtown you could zip up to Capitol Hill and hit Via Tribunali. Great atmosphere ... great neopolitan pizza ... or you could go to Serious Pie, the new-ish Tom Douglas pizza place on 4th (and lenora or thereabouts). It is right around the corner from Dahlia lounge. It is more like an Otto style crust ... cracker-like. I liked the creativity of the pizzas though and the space is also a lot of fun.

Also on Capitol Hill, at 12th and Madison, is the new sibling of Le Pichet, Cafe Presse. It is open late ... til 2am and focuses on a short menu of well executed French bar/cafe staples. I loved it.

Downtown on 4th Ave. is Cafe Purple ... a wine bar in a dramatic space. They aim high enough with the food but the execution has been inconsistent. Nonetheless I would recommend it for a party trip. There are many small plate options and again a great selection of wine.

If you happen to get to Fremont, definitely check out Brouwer's, a Belgian beer bar. They have about 60 beers on tap including a very impressive variety of Belgian and NW beers, about 200 bottles and about 40 scotches. They also have a few really decent plates. It is comfort food and it is not expensive. However the beer can add up.

Gotta go for now. I will give your question more thought. I am thinking of a few places in Ballard as well. Maybe you will get out for some more nightlife. King's Hardware and Divino are two standouts and for bakeries you definitely don't want to miss Cafe Besalu. The croissants and other pastries are made by the owner who is there working every day they are open (not Monday though). I would rank the pain au chocolate the best I have ever had ... anywhere.

-K

or you could go to Serious Pie, the new-ish Tom Douglas pizza place on 4th (and lenora or  thereabouts). It is right around the corner from Dahlia lounge.  It is more like an Otto style crust ... cracker-like.  I liked the creativity of the pizzas though and the space is also a lot of fun. 

I wouldn't call these cracker like - the quality of the dough is generally outstanding (helps to have your own bakery I think) and my last pie had a nice ratio of char, bubble, and chew to the crust.

Palace Kitchen is great for some late night eating, say, after the show. My favorite bar food in town.

I'm going to be at that show myself so maybe I should take my own advice. mmmmm.... lavender fondue.

I think there are many weekend happy hours, including Brasa 5-7 nightly: http://www.brasa.com/menus/brasa%20bar%20menu.pdf

Union's lovely bar menu is 5-7 and 10-midnight.

Vessel is across the 5th from the hotel. Happy hour 4-6 daily. I don't think they are open on Sundays.

BOKA has early and late happy hours M-F.

Taste at SAM has 3-6 happy hour - all bar snacks $5. Closed Monday. http://www.tastesam.com/docs/taste_bar.pdf

All are a bit more elegant than party.