• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two days...need suggestions

Buechner

Le Zie is a neighborhood place that I've never heard as highly regarded. there are probably 50 places similar to it in Manhattan.

Tell me about Otto...is it just pizza or do you have some personal favorites?

Le Zie is a neighborhood place that I've never heard as highly regarded. there are probably 50 places similar to it in Manhattan.

I actually rarely get pizza there. I generally make a meal out of the carne, paste and verdure. the wine list and cheese selection are excellent. the gelato is the best in NY.

the menu is here: http://ottopizzeria.com/menu.html

I actually rarely get pizza there. I generally make a meal out of the carne, paste and verdure. the wine list and cheese selection are excellent. the gelato is the best in NY.

Would you go Otto over Lupa? Are the pastas homemade and equally good at both places? I really do appreciate all your insight :smile:

Go to Il Posto Accanto.  It's techically a wine bar but the food is generally excellent and the people are really wonderful.  It gets crowded and doesn't take reservations, but it's a staple for me.  Try the polpettine, the scialliateli, the lasagne (if they have it or you can convince them to give it to you), the salad with asparagus that I forget the name of and the squid.  All of the pastas are good and some are excellent.  It's also my favorite spot for brunch.

I've had bad experiences the last two times I was at Lupa, but they were long ago.

I love squid. One of my favorite italian dishes is seppie di inziamo. Can you give me a price range on things...also I assume they don't take reservations? Have you tried Le Zie?

I've eaten at Le Zie two times, and I didn't find either to be at all impressive. It seems like a neighborhood restaurant that people who live near it like for the people more than the food.

Il Posto Accanto doesn't take reservations, and the service is definitely Italian (very laid back, bordering inattentive but extremely friendly). The pastas at Il Posto Accanto are about $11-13 for small share portions. Other dishes are somewhere in that range. I'd say two people would share 4-5 dishes, but it depends how hungry you are.

Otto is also good, although I find it a bit too sceney and crazy for my taste. Il Posto Accanto has more of a neighborhood feel (though Otto is in my actual neighborhood).

Would you go Otto over Lupa? Are the pastas homemade and equally good at both places? I really do appreciate all your insight :smile:

the pasta at Lupa is better.

how many are in your group again? a party of two never has to wait too long to eat at the bar or at a table at Lupa.

There are only 2 of us...my mom is my travel companion. She loves to try new things which is great. So, I gather you would definitely chose Lupa over Otto Nathan?

Jesikka, thanks for the info on Le Zie...off my list. As for Il Posto Accanto do you know of a website? I cannot find one. Or do you have some menu suggestions? This sounds like a better option than Otto to me. I am not a vegetarian, but need some veggies and cannot just eat pasta or meat for a meal.

I am not a big dessert at a restaurant fan. My favorite dessert is just ice cream or some baked good like a brownie, tart, cookie etc...If anyone has some favorite spots to grab something let me know. Is Donut Plant really worth all the hype or are they just overpriced donuts?

There are only 2 of us...my mom is my travel companion.  She loves to try new things which is great.  So, I gather you would definitely chose Lupa over Otto Nathan? 

Jesikka, thanks for the info on Le Zie...off my list.  As for Il Posto Accanto do you know of a website?  I cannot find one.  Or do you have some menu suggestions?  This sounds like a better option than Otto to me.  I am not a vegetarian, but need some veggies and cannot just eat pasta or meat for a meal.

I am not a big dessert at a restaurant fan.  My favorite dessert is just ice cream or some baked good like a brownie, tart, cookie etc...If anyone has some favorite spots to grab something let me know.  Is Donut Plant really worth all the hype or are they just overpriced donuts?

1. I would choose Lupa for the entirety of its menu.

2. the Otto menu has 10+ veggies dishes....all of the verdure options...I usually get several.

3. if you like ice cream, the olive oil gelato at Otto will blow your mind...but you could just stop in at mid-day and get it.

Nathan, thanks for all your insight. I have read great things about the olive oil gelato. I am definitely intrigued. Gelato has to be one of the most delicious things in the world. On my most recent trip to Florence the "gelato girls" always smiled and laughed when I would come in for my nightly fix :smile:

I noticed that monkfish (my favorite) is on the on-line menu at Lupa; have you ever had any fish/seafood at Lupa? I am not a big "meat" eater...lots of fish. Opinion on Donut Plant? Any not to miss cafes/bakeries?

Nathan, thanks for all your insight.  I have read great things about the olive oil gelato.  I am definitely intrigued.  Gelato has to be one of the most delicious things in the world.  On my most recent trip to Florence the "gelato girls" always smiled and laughed when I would come in for my nightly fix :smile:

I noticed that monkfish (my favorite) is on the on-line menu at Lupa; have you ever had any fish/seafood at Lupa?  I am not a big "meat" eater...lots of fish.  Opinion on Donut Plant?  Any not to miss cafes/bakeries?

the seafood at Lupa will change virtually daily. if they offer anything baked in salt (usually branzino)...get it.

baked goods don't really interest me so I can't help you on that.

There are only 2 of us...my mom is my travel companion.  She loves to try new things which is great.  So, I gather you would definitely chose Lupa over Otto Nathan? 

Jesikka, thanks for the info on Le Zie...off my list.  As for Il Posto Accanto do you know of a website?  I cannot find one.  Or do you have some menu suggestions?  This sounds like a better option than Otto to me.  I am not a vegetarian, but need some veggies and cannot just eat pasta or meat for a meal.

I am not a big dessert at a restaurant fan.  My favorite dessert is just ice cream or some baked good like a brownie, tart, cookie etc...If anyone has some favorite spots to grab something let me know.  Is Donut Plant really worth all the hype or are they just overpriced donuts?

Il posto accanto doesn't have a website. I think I gave you my menu suggestions above- the salad with asparagus, the squid, the pastas- esp the tagliolini and the scialiateli, the meatballs, the fish (the fish one ranges in quality but I almost always get it anyway), the broccoli rape, the spinach with golden raisins and pine nuts. All of those menu items are excellent. For brunch the uova en trippa is unbeatable for me, and Dave H loves the amitriciana and the carbonara. If you go for brunch, skip the coffee (don't ask why a place that is a perfect Italian replica in all other ways cannot make a decent espresso). The fabulous lasagne is only available Sundays.

of these?  easy.  Lupa and either of the Momofukus.

I wouldn't even think about any of the others except as backups...

I agree wholeheartedly although I've only eaten at Momofuku Ssam for dinner. The steamed buns are a must. But I doubt you can go wrong with anything.

Thank you all for the suggestions. My plans are to hit Lupa and Momofuku Ssam for dinners. Since I don't have reservations place would you suggest one night over the other for either place?

because Ssam Bar doesn't take reservations at all...its a bit easier for walk-ins. so I'd make that Saturday.

as for Lupa...make sure you tell both the maitre d that you're looking for a table and then tell the bartender that you're looking to eat. that way you'll get whichever spot opens up first...either a table or seats at the bar.

you're in luck that the summer is NY's "slow season" as so many people are out of town.

Cakes and Bakeries: in the East village: Blackhound Bakery- 2nd ave between 10th and 11th. Veneiro's Bakery - old New York institution. Open late, cookies and pastries east 11th and 1st ave.

don't overlook the Union Square Farmers Market on Saturday if you are in the area, there are numerous stalls selling baked goods. there's also a patisserie in the northwest corner of the square. There's also Le Pain Quodotidien (or however you spell it) who sells baked goods.

if you venture to Otto for the Olive Oil Gelato, there's a 'wichcraft down the street which sells creamwhich cookies and maybe other treats. at 8th and Broadway. in the other direction there's Citarella 10th Street at 6th Ave.

there may be some other bakeries off of Bleecker nearer to Lupa. and other places in the East village.

Please report back on your trip and what you find.

Baked goods at Balthazar are fair not earthshattering. Never had CecicCela so I can't comment.

I'm a big fan of Balthazar Bakery and would put it in my top 5 list. Ceci-Cela is also in my top 5; it has a mean croissant if you like them flaky; you can also sit down in the back and read for awhile. Balthazar Bakery does not have seating other the benches outside. If you don't mind pretense and a trip to the upper east side, Payard is my favorite bakery in New York. They have the most diverse selection and, for a croissant person, the perfect balance between flake and moisture. I'd recommend (in order): Payard, Patisserie Claude, Ceci-Cela, La Bergamote, and Balthazar Bakery. Anyway, have a great trip in New York! Enjoy!

I will have to say I was in Balthazar yesterday buying bread which I really like, and they had more selection of other desserts items which looked very good. I am not a patisserie person. I also popped in Ceci-Cela which is down the street across Lafayette and across the street. They also looked good. But a croissant is never going to be my pastry of choice.

If you are looking for more american type sweets two other recommendations for thought. Birdbath Bakery 13th and 1st (I think) It's the bakery portion of City Bakery. and then there's the new treats truck www.treatstruck.com you could check out its schedule and see if it will be anywhere near where you will be on the weekend you are in town.