• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The cheese course in France

Dave Hatfield

To my suprise I couldn't find a previous thread on this topic so here goes.

I was prompted to think about how much cheese one should ask for/take when the cheese course arrives at your table by a comment on another thread something like; "the cheese plate was left on the table for us to eat from to our heart's content".

My impression gained by both experience and watching the French is that politeness dictates no more than small portions of three cheeses. This seems to apply whether one is being served or whether the cheese plate is left at table.

Rarely are large(er) portions taken nor are seconds taken when the cheese is left on the table.

The question is: Am I right? Or way off base? Or???

Being a lover of cheese I'd happily take more if I didn't think I risked being labeled a crass American.

I am, here, strictly refering to cheese courses in restaurants. Many of our French friends set out an array of 4-6 cheeses and would be very disappointed if one didn't try a small morsel of each.

Comments please.

Hi Dave,

You actually brought up a very interesting question. From my experience (including in Italy and Spain), the restaurant (or the cheese-person) is very flexible. I asked jokingly a few times whether I could try one of each, they said sure - when I see their expressions, nothing is really hidden (though I've never done it).

On the average, like you said, I take 4 (when I'm full) - 6 (when I'm still hungry) kinds. I almost never skip desserts (and the petit fours), so usually I limit my cheese intake myself - especially when 3-4 year old comte or l'abbaye de citeaux is not available. Economically, if we eat the chesse course as a la carte and it's expensive (EUR 30 or more like in L'Ambroisie or L'Arpege), I might tend to take more to make money worth it :laugh:

Where's your favorite restaurant to eat the cheese course in France? Do you also like a "cooked" cheese like brie de mieux?

I think you are totally on base, Dave. I think that the comment about the plateau's being left on the table is more a statement about the restaurant's attitude of trust or generosity than the amount of cheese consumed.

Usually, 3 or even 2 is my limit. There is nothing worse than finding that, regardless of how delicious it is, you have suddenly reached capacity and still have a portion of cheese on your plate. :unsure:

eGullet member #80.

On the average, like you said, I take 4 (when I'm full) - 6 (when I'm still hungry) kinds. I almost never skip desserts (and the petit fours), so usually I limit my cheese intake myself  - especially when 3-4 year old comte or l'abbaye de citeaux is not available.

Oh, the cheese from l'Abbaye Notre-Dame de Cîteaux is superb!!! :wub: Happy to find another fan.

h: 

Where's your favorite restaurant to eat the cheese course in France? Do you also like a "cooked" cheese like brie de mieux?

Don't have a favorite per se. I like restaurants where all the cheeses offered are local, Belcastel being a good example.

Not quite sure what you mean by "cooked"?? In any case there are few cheeses that I don't like. Brie de Mieux is great, if aged properly and served at the right stage of "doneness"!

If it's Brie de Meaux, it is by no means cooked.

If it is Brie de Mieux, well — I don't know. :biggrin:

Dave, I think your intuitions are correct.

Also, helping yourself to loads of cheese when you're invited in someone's home could make the host think that he has not given you enough to eat. However people feel happy when you honor their cheese platter. So the truth lies somewhere in between.

In restaurants, helping yourself to lots of cheese or just a little doesn't mean much either way. It is really up to the client.

Edited by Ptipois (log)

At favorite restaurants where I went often and was known to be a cheese lover, I sometimes had extra portions urged on me because the patron had a particularly good specimen and was proud of it. A restaurant that's been going for a while will know what his average consumption is and will set his price accordingly. These days, after a full meal a diner is more likely to go easy on the cheese than to overdo it.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

What was mlsleading in your post was that you were mentioning brie de Meaux as a cooked cheese. It can be cooked in some preparations, like any other cheese, but that's not usually the case. Gouda and edam are cooked cheeses.

The brie on your picture does not look "cooked" but slightly warmed on the plate (and so does the lamb's lettuce salad while we're at it). This could be done to bring out the truffle flavor.

I usually ask for a taste for all the chevres. But I must tell you, years ago at the old Regalade, that paté that is passed to tables, I had to remind my dear one that it was not his alone.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

What was mlsleading in your post was that you were mentioning brie de Meaux as a cooked cheese. It can be cooked in some preparations, like any other cheese, but that's not usually the case. Gouda and edam are cooked cheeses.

Ptipois, I´m curious.. what do you mean that Gouda and Edam are cooked cheeses?

Edited by Chufi (log)