• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report: Picanha Grill Cow-Out, Northeast Philly

SugarJ

Thank you Sandy for meticulous organization and fervent applause for this great place. we enjoyed the company, the restuarant, the service, and of course, the cow(s)!

my first time at an egullet "event" was friendly and inviting.

my first time in a Brazilian establishment was also very warm and friendly.

my first time with the Rodizio action was aaawesome. Filet, bacon, skirt steak, top round, and the official "picanha" cut...all done for us as we mostly requested rare to medium rare....simply divine and perfectly seasoned. And let us not forget the great okra and myself, I was a fan of both beans and both styles of rice (topped with a sprinkle of the flour crumble with bacon as advised by manley).

Price and decor aside, I'd be interested in a comparison tween Picanha and Fogo on the meat. Has anyone been to both?

oh - and another first time - navigating the Oxford Circle which I think only looks remotely like a circle from birds eye view. NJ is NJ but their circles are more SugarJ friendly. :)

Price and decor aside, I'd be interested in a comparison tween Picanha and Fogo on the meat.  Has anyone been to both?

my boyfriend and I have done the tour of the more gringo-friendly rodizio places in Philly (Picanha, Samba at 7th and Girard, and Fogo de Chao). I'm sure there are many others in the northeast; I just don't know where they are.

you should go to Fogo -- it's fun in a chain steakhouse way, and the setting is beautiful (soaring ceilings, great architectural detail, etc.). that said, I think the meat quality is about the same at Picanha and Fogo, and I definitely prefer the rice and beans and more authentic sides at Picanha to the Americanized buffet at Fogo.

additional points:

- The Fogos in Houston and Dallas are better (larger, more interesting buffets)

- The floury stuff you sprinkle on your rice and beans is called farofa (it's manioc/cassava flour)

- Next time you go to Picanha, bring a bag of limes and some cachaca (sugarcane rum) and have them make you caprinihas, but bring a designated driver: those Brazilians do NOT screw around when it comes to liquor. I think they used half a bottle of cachaca to make us two drinks.

We had a blast! Kudos to Sandy for doing all of the leg work and being such a personable host.

We really enjoyed the food at Picanha and look forward to our next visit. But more important than the food were the peeps! It was a pleasure meeting all of you and Ann and I both look forward to seeing much more of you all on future outings.