• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: More wines with food

Florida Jim

First: sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, shredded basil and a light, herb vinaigrette.

2006 Ravelli, Soave Colli Scaligeri:

This is very fresh with white fruit and mineral scents; the same on the palate with a licorice flavor, a bitter almond after taste and medium length. A charming wine that is 12.5% alcohol, imported by Opici Wine Co., under screw cap and costs about $12; I’d buy it again.

I chose this because of its freshness and heritage. Diane and I agreed that it was excellent with the dish as the licorice flavor seemed to match the fresh basil and the bitter almond note freshened the palate after the lactic effect of the cheese. As a match, this is hard to beat.

Second: grilled chicken breasts, Caesar salad and crusty bread.

2005 Clos de la Roilette (Coudert), Fleurie Cuvée Tardive:

A big wine aromatically with black fruit, earth and spice aromas; concentrated and intense black fruit and spice flavors in the mouth with grainy tannins, a mouth-coating texture and a long, powerfully flavored finish. More open than a bottle at release yet still a bruiser. 13% alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner and about $20; I bought plenty.

Also tasted,

1998 Lafarge, Bourgogne:

(My note from yesterday follows)

“Cocoa powder and plum nose; round and full in the mouth with sour cherry flavors added to the elements of the nose and an obvious tannic presence that does not dry; long, fruit-filled finish. A year ago this was what so many said about the 1998 vintage in Burgundy; tannic and closed. Today it is reborn to round, dense fruit, no drying or harsh tones and a lovely finesse that just wasn’t there in the past. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Chelsea Ventures and about $15 on sale; I’d buy it again.”

After being opened and re-stoppered overnight, this is even rounder, more integrated and fuller in the mouth with a soft mouth feel and a very resolved structure.

Both wines were chosen to go with the grilled chicken based on their being a classic pairing for such a dish. Diane and I agreed that the Lafarge matched it the best as it did not over-power the flavors and its textures matched the texture of the chicken better than the Fleurie, which did seem to be too big to pair well with this food. I think the Fleurie is a bit young for anything but stronger flavored meats at the moment, but I know these Coudert wines develop beautifully in the cellar.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com