• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasted Peppers - preserving

snowangel

The garden bounty is in and I have a ton of red peppers. My family loves roasted peppers on pizza, in pasta, in frittatas, etc.

If I roast them all, does anyone have a suggestion on how to preserve them? In a jar with oil in the fridge? Help!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

After roasting peppers, I've never tried keeping them more than about a week or so. I usually chop some garlic and infuse olive oil with the flavor over low heat and then toss the skinned roasted peppers with the oil. I'd guess the peppers might keep better submerged in oil, but I wouldn't they'd have a very long shelf or refrgerator life unless you used canning methods.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I've probably taken a great risk, but I have kept roasted peppers in the fridge for months. After roasting and peeling/seeding them (and saving the juices), I mix the peppers with fresh herbs (ususally rosemary, sometimes oregano), very thin slices of fresh garlic, olive oil, the reserved juices, a little salt and pepper, and vinegar. I think it's the vinegar that's kept us alive.

On a related note: I've also made and stored big batches of piperade with red, yellow, and green peppers, plus onions and garlic. I sweat them all together in olive oil, then pack them hot into 8-ounce Ball jars. The tops seal as the jars cool; I keep them in the fridge. That way I can just pop open a jar when I need them for recipes. You could probably do it with just red peppers, onion, and garlic.

have you tried Raos bottles roasted peppers...I like them - not as much as homemade- but they are good to have when you need them in the fridge and they dont go bad. They are bottles in Olive oil, pine nuts and raisins...

They are about $9 for a very small jar.

I'm on a cooking for the freezer list, and someone just answered this question.

Here's the email .

"I'm not sure about

> freezing the roasted peppers - does anybody have any experience with this?

Me, me. I've roasted red bell peppers, and pimento peppers.

Peel before freezing. Freeze in some of the liquid they ooze out while

you are waiting for them to cool enough to peel. chop, dice or slice before

freezing. They are a marvelous thing to have around. "

After I roast and clean the peppers, I douse them with olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper. I made a whole mess of them last time they were on sale and I took a chance and froze them in bags that I vacuum sealed. I took a bag when we went on vacation last week and they were great. I had been worried about the consistency changing, but it didn't. It's one of my most favorite times, sitting on the deck in Maine right on the water, a bottle of wine, a good loaf of bread, some fresh mozzerella, roasted peppers and proscuitto. I could live on that forever.

I'm on a cooking for the freezer list, and  someone just answered this question.

Here's the email .

"I'm not sure about

> freezing the roasted peppers - does anybody have any experience with this?

Me, me. I've roasted red bell peppers, and pimento peppers.

Peel before freezing. Freeze in some of the liquid they ooze out while

you are waiting for them to cool enough to peel. chop, dice or slice before

freezing. They are a marvelous thing to have around. "

I know that you can buy frozen roasted peppers (red and yellow) from Sysco (a broadline food vendor). So I suppose you should be able to freeze your own.

Good luck

Nick :smile: