• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants we miss

At the Olive Oil tasting last weekend, nightscotman's friend D and I were lamenting over the loss of a lot of good restaurants in Seattle over the years. Especially some up on Capital Hill.

A couple that I miss are:

Henry's Off Broadway - An elegant upscale fine dining restaurant that was in our neighborhood when we lived on Capital Hill in the late 80's. Was a great place to meet in the lounge for cocktails and listening to piano music (performed by a live piano player of course, and there was also bar type seating that wrapped around the grand piano which was nice), or for special occasion dinners of Rack of Lamb. It went out of business and is now the site of condos.

Settabello - A really nice Northern Italian restaurant that used to be on the corner of Olive Way in the 80's (replaced by Hamburger Mary's). We used to go there for delicious stuffed calamari appetizers and Osso Bucco. Luciano Bardinelli was the chef, and I understand he is at Sans Souci in Bellevue (anyone eaten there?).

What restaurants in the Pacific Northwest do you wish were still around?

Virazon!

I had one of my best meals EVER there! We had the opportunity to try two Burgundies from two different fields across the road from each other, and by the end of the meal we were being served by the chef, Astolfo Rueda, himself. He even gave us some of his home-made lemon brandy to finish what was already an incredible meal from both a food and wine standpoint! The personal touch is part of what made it so remarkable. We were terribly sad to hear that it had closed due to discord in the partnership a few months later.

Luscious smell like love

Essential black milk worship

It whispers to me...

...Chocolate

Virazon!

I second that emotion! Virazon would probably be on the top of my list of those we've loved and lost. I had several really memorable meals there, including a New Year's Eve dinner that ranks as one of the best meals I've ever had. What really irritates me about Virazon closing is that my understanding is that it was due to the inability of the owner and chef to work out a deal with each other. Something about the chef being promised an ownership share at some point and then the owner reneged on the deal. Does anyone have any idea where Rueda is these days? I'd travel significant distances to eat his food again.

Others that I think fondly of:

Adriatica - Although it had definately slipped in the last few years it was open, it used to be spectacular. On top of that, it was my first fine dining experience when I was about 15, and you know what they say about your first time.... :wub:

L'Emir - In my opinion, the best middle eastern food that Seattle has ever seen. It was on 85th (I think) near Green Lake. Funky little place, but did Lebanese food at a level I've rarely experienced.

If Bistro Antalya doesn't make it back, I would put that up there as well.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

ooooh, I just remembered Mamounia, a wonderful Moroccan restaurant on Capitol Hill. You'd walk in off the street and feel like you were in a fabulous tent in the desert somewhere, with thick rugs and cushions covering the floor. The chicken with preserved lemons was fragrant and rich while the lamb with honey literally melted in your mouth. Everything was eaten with your hands which where rinsed with rose water at the end of the meal. The whole thing felt exotic and luxurious.

Now it's a tattoo and body piercing place called Apocalypse Hardware. My how times have changed. :hmmm:

Oh, I remember that Moroccan place on Olive, although I never went. I do like Marrakesh in Portland, or at least I did in high school.

I miss Ezo till it hurts, and I miss Noodlehead in southeast Portland. (Clearly noodles and I go way back.)

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

NOODLEHEAD!! I used to live like, four blocks from that place! I loved the way the interior looked like "Tokyo 1962". Great salad rolls. The owners had another place in NW Portland that had my favorite name for a resaurant: Misohapi. Is it still there?

Don't mention Ezo. I'm still in denial.

I second that emotion!  Virazon would probably be on the top of my list of those we've loved and lost....Does anyone have any idea where Rueda is these days?  I'd travel significant distances to eat his food again.

Unfortunately, according to this old Seattle Times article, he's not cooking (at least for us) anymore: http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/...8&query=virazon :sad:

edited to add:

I also miss Mamounia!! What a sensory experience!

Luscious smell like love

Essential black milk worship

It whispers to me...

...Chocolate

Unfortunately, according to this old Seattle Times article, he's not cooking (at least for us) anymore....

:sad::sad::sad::sad:...hopefully he'll get the restaurant bug again at some point. I'd do my damndest to keep him in business...

I only ate at Mamounia once, but really enjoyed it. Their short-lived take-out place next door was good too.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

Illiterati. Ooo the eggs florentine...

And I'd like to mourn a section of a restaurant... anyone remember when Cafe Campagne had its glass cases full of delectible foods just waiting for you to take home?? Gawd, the herb de provence pan fried chicken.. the fig tart... ooh.

Cucina Fresca (in the market, also with glass cases full of tantilizing goodies...)

Born Free, Now Expensive

And Sammie Sue's!

Yeah baby!! Sammie Sue's eggs bene over collard greens was tops. I'm ashamed I left them off my original list....

I think the thing I miss about Sammie Sue's wasn't even the food (though it was tasty, the grits!) but the staff and the room. It was a real neighborhood place where they got to know you and weren't afraid to chat, even when they were busy. I'd totally forgotten it closed also, tighe. I was just trying to think of new restaurants and the things that used to be there before.

A place that definately should have been on my original list is The Painted Table before Tim Kelly left. That was hands down my favorite restaurant in town for some time. It will be interesting to see what they come up with to replace it. I understand they hired one of Tom Douglas' underlings to be the exec chef. Tim is apparently now the exec chef at Zoe in NYC.

Yes, I too miss Virazon. I thougt it was too bad that the owner, who always referred to the chef as "my partner", did not live up to her agreement.

Does anyone remember Rossellini's Other Place? The original one on Fourth and Union? Robert Rossellini taught Seattle how to eat, and many new chefs how to cook. His restaurant was the first to use local ingredients with French techniques.

Welcome foodchick2002! Thanks for posting and I'm looking forward to hearing more about now-defunct restaurants. I've lived in Seattle off and on for almost a decade but didn't really start diving into the restaurant scene until two years ago and I find this thread fascinating.

I came across an interesting article that talks about the history of cuisine & restaurants in Seattle (including some oldies but goodies like Rossellini's Other Place that foodchick2002 mentioned that are no longer around), including some interesting comments about restaurant service in Seattle. Click Here

edit: actually, I think this article should have probably been linked to mamster's Seattle Restaurant Scene thread.