• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cailler Chocolate

ChocoGrok

I recently received a large bar of Cailler chocolate. I was wondering if anyone has opinions on the quality of this chocolate and its use in desserts. For example, would it make an acceptable ganache or should it be used for piping small decorations?

Edited by ChocoGrok (log)

"The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful"

- e e cummings

Take a bite. If you like it on it's own you'll (probably*) like it in a ganache. There's not many things cream or butter make taste worse.

*I'm not familiar with that chocolate so I'm adding the "probably" disclaimer in case it's a really low percentage milk that completely washes out in the cream.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

One of my favorite Swiss choclates. My husband is not allowed to re-enter our home after trips to Switzerland unless he has a suitcase full of the different offerings. I have only seen eating chocolates, though.

I visited the small factory on my last trip to Switzerland. They are very close to the town of Gruyere so we had an afternoon of cheese and chocolate. They were acquired by Nestle but are adamant about retaining their independence in manufacturing procedures. Our tour guide explained that Nestle uses powdered milk but they continue to use liquid milk from local cows. At the end of the tour, you are led into a room of tables laden with silver trays piled with every single chocolate variety they make.

You did not mention which chocolte variety you received and what % it is. I rec. just eating it. The chocolates are not sold in the US yet (to my knowledge). I called a few years ago and they said they do not export to the states. I saw a limited amount was being sold at Heathrow a few years ago and the store clerk told us they just started carrying this brand. The incredible varieties seem to only be available in Switzerland, though. Hopefully I am wrong and am interested to hear if there is a US source.

Milk from local cows sounds promising.

A friend of mine came back from france and his suitcase was full of euro-paraphenalia :biggrin: ....among which was a big bottle of absinthe, thyme jelly, and this 400g Cailler chocolate bar.

The label on the bar reads "Cremant, Chocolat Noir Extrafin-Extrafeine Zartbitter-Schokolade". The bar is wrapped in silver with gold lettering. The % on the back reads "Cocoa solids: 46% minimum"

Edited by ChocoGrok (log)

"The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful"

- e e cummings

Link

Link to co. website.

Milk from local cows sounds promising. 

A friend of mine came back from france and his suitcase was full of euro-paraphenalia :biggrin: ....among which was a big bottle of absinthe, thyme jelly, and this 400g Cailler chocolate bar.

The label on the bar reads "Cremant, Chocolat Noir Extrafin-Extrafeine Zartbitter-Schokolade".  The bar is wrapped in silver with gold lettering.  The % on the back reads "Cocoa solids:  46% minimum"