• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Live Poultry

davidkeay

We've got a live poultry store right near here, and I just grabbed a chicken an hour ago or so. I really like the idea of the place - a pretty good selection of poultry and game, and it doesn't get much fresher than this. Unfortunately, the one other time I had a chicken from there, it was really tough. We cooked it about 2 hours after they killed it...the flavor of the chicken was good, but texture wise, it was pretty tough. I don't think we particularly overcooked the meat - the breasts were cut up and velveted for use in a stir fry kind of thing, and we tried a recipe from Jose Andres Tapas cookbook for the rest.

I've searched online a lot to see if I can find anything about the best way to use super fresh poultry, but haven't found any real info! I feel like I've heard that I should actually wait a day or so before eating it, which I may try with the one I just got. I also wonder if the type of chicken plays a role - the first time, I got one of their cheaper birds, but I swung for their slightly more expensive ones this time. I think the white chickens were about $1.25 a pound and the grey were $1.80 or so.

If anyone has some advice, that would be great! If not, I'll probably brine it in the morning and eat it tomorrow night! Thanks!

Also, in case anyone's reading this from new york, the place is up at 126th and amsterdam - here's a terrible picture on googles streetview.

After reading the topic heading -- Live Poultry; Should I Wait To Cook it? -- my initial response was: wait at least until it's dead.

Now that I've got that out of my system, what you heard is correct. Let the chicken (dead) sit in the 'fridge for a day before you cook it. I'm sure someone can provide a scientific explanation, but it's much better that way.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

The chicken site I belong to (have two laying hens in the backyard) has several posts about this - apparently the meat needs to age at least four hours before eating. Some people keep the meat in an ice bath overnight before cooking or freezing.

The theory posited is that the enzymes need time to start breaking down the meat.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8457

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats."

--

food.craft.life.

The Lunch Crunch - Our daily struggle to avoid boring lunches

I very nearly went with the topic 'Very recently live poultry', but opted to go with the more fun one - I'm glad you enjoyed it :D

Thanks for the great info, especially the link! It's been about 4 hours since I got it, so I might be able to get away with it later tonight if that's what my dinner group demands!

My grandparents owned and operated a poultry ranch when I was growing up. They, of course, butchered their own birds and we ate a lot of them. The advice given so far is right on, but I would like one thing. The age of the chicken is also a factor.

Broiler (approx. 16 weeks) are suitable for preparations where tenderness is important.

Older birds need different prep methods, more like braises and stews because they are tough. My grandparents sold their old laying hens as "stewers". If my grandmother sent my sister or I out to ask our uncle for "an old hen" it meant chicken and dumplings and she slow cooked that chicken for a couple of hours. If she sent us out after a "young bird" it meant ( YUM) fried chicken.

I, too, have a local place that butchers live chickens. I made the mistake one time of not specifying that I wanted a young bird and ended up with an old hen (head and feet included) that really didn't take to well to being roasted.

As for why you need to let the chicken (or any animal you kill to eat) "relax" for a while, just key in a google search for "rigor mortis" and you'll have your answer.

The aging process of meat also allows enzymes to do their work and create yummy flavor compounds in the meat.

If you're having problems with toughness after the rest, try "Coq au Vin" or cooking your chix recipe in a pressure cooker, which will break down the connective tissues lickety split.

In China, there are restaurants where you pick out a live chicken, they kill it in front of you (by smashing its head on the sidewalk) and serve it immediately. I suppose this is not a good idea then?

Is this true for all poultry, or just chicken?

After reading the topic heading -- Live Poultry; Should I Wait To Cook it? -- my initial response was: wait at least until it's dead.

Me too. I thought this thread was going somewhere entirely different! :shock:

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Personally I`d kill it pluck it and leave it in the fridge, or in winter the shed hanging for up to 2 weeks before drawing and cooking.

Thats what I do for young and old pheasant and it works well. I also use the coq au vin style of cooking for all old fellas, but it`s easiest to age a cock(pheasant or chook) by checking the spurs, as for hens you can check their Bursa (sp?) but I`ve never tried it :huh:

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

In China, there are restaurants where you pick out a live chicken, they kill it in front of you (by smashing its head on the sidewalk) and serve it immediately. I suppose this is not a good idea then?[...]

They did the same thing in rural Malaysia, except that they slit the throat (halal slaughtering). I don't think it's a bad thing at all! (OK, they did let it bleed for a little while, but it was boiled that evening if needed for the next day -- no refrigeration in the village in those days.)

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"