• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Kitchen/Lab Design

Sebastian

I've recently taken a new position with another chocolate company, and the first thing I'm being asked to do is create a state of the art development/applications lab. I know the equipment and process flow inside and out, so that's not an issue for me, but my wife says I'm...how shall we put it...aesthetically challenged 8-)

Have any of you experience with design companies that offer industrial lab/kitchen design services? I'm looking for someone who can address layout, cabinet design, colors, etc so that if I say 'here's a pile of equipment that i have to put in here' they can say 'i know how to make it look like you didn't just throw a pile of equipment in here'...i need it be functional and very aesthetic.

If there's any resident experience in here with lab design places, I'd love to hear who they are and what your experiences were with them...

You might want to identify your location.

We once did this for a production bakery. They ended up renovating it years later to make it look more like a french bistro. Sad.

Anyway, you should be able to find an architect who's portfolio matches your needs. Either look for someone with some restaurant or retail experience, or try someone who just has the right aesthetic. Since you know the equipment and flow, their job won't be too difficult.