• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hill Country

kathryn

The interesting thing is that my friends preferred the lean.  Of course, one could argue that they're dumbasses and I'd likely agree.  Still, perhaps in this catering-to-the-masses setting a mixture is the right way to go.

Gotta say Bryan that a lot of people, given the choice, would pick the lean. The beef custard can be a little rich, and not to everyone's taste. I like a bit of each.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

A bit of each is the way to go, yea.  And I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of people eating brisket in this country prefer (or think they prefer) the lean part of the brisket.

Yes, my dad, a native Texan, retired cattleman and lifelong barbecue aficionado, prefers the lean, no sauce. But as he will happily tell you, and take hours doing so, it's MUCH harder to smoke that perfectly. It has to be tender, and not dry. Difficult. A true test of the pitmaster's skill.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Who are all these people that have no idea what they like?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The interesting thing is that my friends preferred the lean.  Of course, one could argue that they're dumbasses and I'd likely agree.  Still, perhaps in this catering-to-the-masses setting a mixture is the right way to go.

Gotta say Bryan that a lot of people, given the choice, would pick the lean. The beef custard can be a little rich, and not to everyone's taste. I like a bit of each.

I enjoy the moist but there’s often a bunch of gelatinous, inedible masses of fat in the order. The lean makes for a nice balance. (It’s kind of funny that the less one portrays themselves (on EG) as a greasy fat loving freak, the bigger the novice piker they are. You might as well call them the V word :laugh:

That wasn't chicken

gelatinous, inedible masses of fat

In the several years I've known you, EMW, I've heard you refer to that on many occassions.

I still have no idea what you're talking about.

I knew this was coming. Reminds of A Few Good Men; “You want the fat? You want the fat?!! You can’t handle the FAT!!” There’s a big difference between stand alone layers of fat which I’ve found in the moist that are simply inedible and fat comingled with the meat which is delicious.

*I’m directing this, to someone who (in one example) has happily, almost single handedly, polished off a huge order of deep-fried, pork grizzle dumplings. When I say grizzle I’m referring to nasty, oily, hunks of pure fat, deposited in won ton wrappers and deep fried (a Filipino delicacy apparently). I defy even the most seasoned EG grease lover to attempt it. (The place btw, is Ihawan in Jack Heights, a block or two from Sripraphai. If you can finish this dish you deserve a free stretcher and a lifetime prescription of Lipitor).

That wasn't chicken

The scene I was thinking was the "old 96er" scene from the Great Outdoors. Needless to say John Candy is now dead. I've been to Hill Country, I think the untrimmed fat is extreme, it shouldn't be part of the weigh-in. My buddy didn't touch it, I was stupid enough to eat it and now I can't fit into my pants.

*I’m directing this, to someone who (in one example) has happily, almost single handedly, polished off a huge order of deep-fried, pork grizzle dumplings.  When I say grizzle I’m referring to nasty, oily, hunks of pure fat, deposited in won ton wrappers and deep fried (a Filipino delicacy apparently).  I defy even the most seasoned EG grease lover to attempt it. (The place btw, is Ihawan in Jack Heights, a block or two from Sripraphai.  If you can finish this dish you deserve a free stretcher and a lifetime prescription of Lipitor).

Those were really good!