• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deli Dealing?

rlibkind

From Craig LaBan's weekly online chat:

. . . [Famous Fourth Street Deli] owner Russ Cowan has already (I heard) sold the Famous. He's a businessman, I understand that. Still, I find it frustrating how he's constantly making great delis and selling them (after which they inevitably decline to mediocrity after a few months). I hope the Famous holds steady. Its sandwiches were still great, even if the service last weekend was an absolutely molasses-paced, occasionally surly mess.

If true, no surprise, as I previously reported this is Russ Cowan's history. He's in the business of building operating businesses then selling them -- that's where the money is. He's an entrepreneur, not a day-to-day manager. If the delis decline after he sells them, it's not his fault: it's the new owners who are probably either (1) not good managers and/or (2) trying to cut corners where they shouldn't.

It doesn't have to be this way. I know of one similar, though smaller, deli in North Jersey now under its third set of owners in 50 years. Each has kept up the quality.

As for The Famous, it's hard to image a worse operator than the party he purchased the landmark from.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Sad to report the decline in quality has begun. Went yesterday and had a pastrami special. The bread was stale and the meat was lacking in flavor and texture. Mediocre at best, not the great sandwich I could count on getting there. My wife's whitefish salad platter was good, so we'll probably give it another shot. Herschel's has now vaulted past them in my book, and I guess I'll be putting a few more miles on the car going up to Harold's.

This issue was brought up when the sale happened -- I thought Russ Cowen promised that this time he was planning to stick around?

Who's the new owner?

Russ Cowan still owns the business and the bricks. Bill Shapiro, who used to own BLT's Cobblefish, and Harry Winnick, who was in auto leasing, are leasing it from him with the option to buy. Cowan recently opened a similar deli operation in Winslow; it's called Mr. Bill's, a former rundown hot dog stand on Route 73 near ACXway. He said he intends to operate it a few months and then sell it. Guy has wanderlust. He now says he gets more thrill out of setting up these places than he does running them day to day. (Really good stuff at Mr. Bill's, by the way. There's the familiar pastrami/corned beef, plus homemade ice cream. He uses Famous 4th St cookie dough in the cookie dough ice cream.)

Edited by michaelklein (log)

Winslow; it's called Mr. Bill's, a former rundown hot dog stand on Route 73 near ACXway. He said he intends to operate it a few months and then sell it. Guy has wanderlust. He now says he gets more thrill out of setting up these places than he does running them day to day. (Really good stuff at Mr. Bill's, by the way. There's the familiar pastrami/corned beef, plus homemade ice cream. He uses Famous 4th St cookie dough in the cookie dough ice cream.)

I usually take rt 30 to the shore, but drove by Mr Bills 2 weeks ago and noticed it looked very different. I was wondering if it changed hands or such. Since I liked Russ's prior operations I will have to give it a try.

The big question Michael is why this never made your column, usually this is where I find out such information.

Winslow; it's called Mr. Bill's, a former rundown hot dog stand on Route 73 near ACXway. He said he intends to operate it a few months and then sell it. Guy has wanderlust. He now says he gets more thrill out of setting up these places than he does running them day to day. (Really good stuff at Mr. Bill's, by the way. There's the familiar pastrami/corned beef, plus homemade ice cream. He uses Famous 4th St cookie dough in the cookie dough ice cream.)

I usually take rt 30 to the shore, but drove by Mr Bills 2 weeks ago and noticed it looked very different. I was wondering if it changed hands or such. Since I liked Russ's prior operations I will have to give it a try.

The big question Michael is why this never made your column, usually this is where I find out such information.

I scooped myself. It's in today's column, though I had a squib about it about two months ago.

Russ Cowan still owns the business and the bricks. Bill Shapiro, who used to own BLT's Cobblefish, and Harry Winnick, who was in auto leasing, are leasing it from him with the option to buy. Cowan recently opened a similar deli operation in Winslow; it's called Mr. Bill's, a former rundown hot dog stand on Route 73 near ACXway. He said he intends to operate it a few months and then sell it. Guy has wanderlust. He now says he gets more thrill out of setting up these places than he does running them day to day.

The "lack of thrill" motivation is no different than Stephen Starr, and as mentioned, many entrepreneurs. Starr has more of an organization to support, among other things.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.