• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Seriously, wood is used to impart a vanilla flavor to wine and spirits.

Right, I'm not questioning that (wood barrels and all).

My vanilla tastes like raw bark/wood.  Not only does that sound incorrect, I'm not sure I like it.  Go outside, pick up a stick of mulch bark and chew on it.  Do you like it?  Actually, don't do that, might be toxic, I'm saying it to illustrate the point :)

I'm here looking to see if others have this wood flavor - I have not seen that mentioned in this thread.  It's definitely from the pod/sheath.  Is it because it's only 2 months old, is this normal, or did I just not use good beans?  This random internet user wants to know.

jedovaty

jedovaty

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Seriously, wood is used to impart a vanilla flavor to wine and spirits.

Right, I'm not questioning that (wood barrels and all).

My vanilla tastes like raw bark/wood.  Not only does that sound incorrect, I'm not sure I like it.  Go outside, pick up a stick of mulch bark and chew on it.  Do you like it?  I'm here looking to see if others have this wood flavor - I have not seen that mentioned in this thread.  It's definitely from the pod/sheath.  Is it because it's only 2 months old, is this normal, or did I just not use good beans?  This random internet user wants to know.