• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine refrigerators as curing chambers

Dave the Cook

As it happens, good conditions for wine storage (60 F/15 C; 60-70% RH) also happen to be good conditions for curing sausages.

Now, maybe I could build a curing chamber for my charcuterie, but I've got limited space (not just a small house, but no basement), I live where it hits 85-90 F fairly often in the summer months (making an outdoor solution impractical), and I have a roommate who's running out of patience with my jury-rigged cooking projects. Besides, it seems like there might already be an answer: a box that maintains temperature and humidity, doesn't have to take up too much space, and isn't ugly. This would be the wine refrigerator.

But I'm having trouble sorting through the options and prices. Websites don't provide a whole lot of performance data, and I've got a limited budget for experimentation (not to mention that if a ready-made solution is too expensive, I'm back to a DIY situation -- and a cranky roommate). I'm not worried about temperature -- all of these units are designed to maintain that correctly -- but humidity is a bit of a concern. Do these cheap (say, <$250) boxes do a decent job with humidity? What's the technology? Wine peeps don't want their corks drying out; charcuterie hooligans don't want their meat drying out too fast. Can we find common ground? What's your experience?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Dave,

Let me take a guess that a wine fridge might have a bit too much humidity for curing sausage.

Just a few degrees cooler and a wine fridge might just be perfect for fermenting a batch of lager. Who make one that will hold a 5 gallon carboy with an airlock?

Tim

I think that they tend to run a little dry, Dave. It is sometimes suggested that you keep a water soaked sponge or some such in the bottom to keep the humidity up. There is a balance: too humid and you may lose botttle labels; too dry and you may lose some corks.You may want to make a couple of calls to some manufacturers like Vin-O-Temp to see if they have any humidity specs.

What a fantastic idea. We have underground wine storage, so I have no experience with wine cooling units, but I have also heard advice to get a solid, dependable cooler first (as some brands are not so reliable!) and add a source of humidity if desired.

Dave, is that your own sausage project?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook